Cheap Trick Messageboard
CT at Hard Rock Cafe Chicago - Cheap Trick to play Grand re opening - Printable Version

+- Cheap Trick Messageboard (http://www.cheaptrickmessageboard.com)
+-- Forum: The Cheap Trick Messageboard (http://www.cheaptrickmessageboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Cheap Trick Concerts/On the Road (http://www.cheaptrickmessageboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: CT at Hard Rock Cafe Chicago - Cheap Trick to play Grand re opening (/showthread.php?tid=3644)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

- Voices909 - 05-07-2008

My review...

We stood in the rain to get in. We needed Baileys and hot something to drink but settled for cold alcohol instead.

The band was on, engaged, energetic and rockin' as always.

Fashion report:
RZ: white suit, checkerboard tie, Japanese shoes
TP: Blue suit (did not play the red sparkle bass, but rather the red woodgrain bass)
RN: Grey suit with tuxedo lapel, piece tee
BEC: Black tee, jeans

Best Friend was one of the highlights for me, killer jam session. Still can not get enough of High Roller either.

Thank you to CT one and all for the kindnesses given, good to see friends, albeit soggy!! For me, two CT gigs in less than 2 weeks time, in the city of Tokyo and the city of Chicago....means alot to me!

- Dawn9 - 05-07-2008

Country Girl 3 Wrote:I can't wait to hear some reviews!!
Well, I guess I'll be the first to start one!!!

I left my house about 4:20 and arrived at the HRC by 5:15...not bad considering I was driving in the I-55 construction crap!

I was about tenth in line as some peeps I know were there already...Lisa J., Laura, Sally, Maureen and her mom and some other friends! A little later, Keith came along and PianoNerd too! Nice to meet you, hope your first show was fun! Sorry I didn't get to see you after the show.

The doors were to open at 8pm and around 7pm, the skies opened up and it RAINED! Aahhh, wouldn't be a CT show without some kind of something happening! Luckily, one of my friends had an umbrella that three of us were sharing, all of our back sides were soaked, but hey, our hair still looked good Big Grin
You would think that the doors would have opened earlier since it was raining, but no such luck, they waited until 8pm to open the doors. There were different lines for those that got tickets through the fan club, we went inside to give our names. The radio station line was outside and there was another one, I think a VIP one.

The revamped HRC looks nice. For anyone that's been there, they removed that huge bar that was in the middle of the room and put it along one of the walls. CT played in one of the eating areas, where they took out the tables. I ended up in front row in front of Tom (I wonder how that happened) :p Cool Well, probably because Rick and Robin's were taken! Like I minded Big Grin

CT came on at 9pm. Camera's were allowed, so I took a few! Robin had on his new white suit with a black/white check tie (very sharp looking)! Rick, a very nice gray suit with a Piece t-shirt and Tom's suit looked like a blue kind of pin stripe.

Robin's mic was off to Tom's side more. Taped to the floor, Keith noticed the set list, I put the zoom in on my camera and took a picture...it's upside down, but I got the set list and here it is in order:

Hello there
Big eyes
Welcome to the world
Cali Man
Best Friend (simply awesome, I will never tire of this one)
IWYTWM
IKWIW
High Roller
The Flame
70's song
Surrender

Encore:
DP
Goodnight

I had gotten a Budokan program from a friend that went. She gave it to me tonight (thanks for having it in that zip lock bag) saved it from the rain! At the beginning of the show I held it up and Tom saw it and asked "Where you there"...nope!! Later, Rick saw it as I held it up again and he saw his picture on the cover and mouthed "that's me"!!

Rick didn't seem to talk as much tonight (odd)!! He did wish his daughter a Happy Birthday and something about she was to buy everyone a drink!

After their first or second song, Rick donated his guitar (sorry don't know the type) to the HRC Cool but it was a black/white check one. Looked like the one that's now on the lower level of the HRC. It used to be upstairs. There was also one of Bun's drum's hanging next to it. Couldn't get a very good picture, as it was behind the band on the wall.

The concert ended by 10:10pm. Even with all the rain and getting soaking wet, I had a great time!!

Thanks CT for the invite!!

- Dawn9 - 05-07-2008

Country Girl 3 Wrote:I can't wait to hear some reviews!!
Well, I guess I'll be the first to start one!!!

I left my house about 4:20 and arrived at the HRC by 5:15...not bad considering I was driving in the I-55 construction crap!

I was about tenth in line as some peeps I know were there already...Lisa J., Laura, Sally, Maureen and her mom and some other friends! A little later, Keith came along and PianoNerd too! Nice to meet you, hope your first show was fun! Sorry I didn't get to see you after the show.

The doors were to open at 8pm and around 7pm, the skies opened up and it RAINED! Aahhh, wouldn't be a CT show without some kind of something happening! Luckily, one of my friends had an umbrella that three of us were sharing, all of our back sides were soaked, but hey, our hair still looked good Big Grin
You would think that the doors would have opened earlier since it was raining, but no such luck, they waited until 8pm to open the doors. There were different lines for those that got tickets through the fan club, we went inside to give our names. The radio station line was outside and there was another one, I think a VIP one.

The revamped HRC looks nice. For anyone that's been there, they removed that huge bar that was in the middle of the room and put it along one of the walls. CT played in one of the eating areas, where they took out the tables. I ended up in front row in front of Tom (I wonder how that happened) :p Cool Well, probably because Rick and Robin's were taken! Like I minded Big Grin

CT came on at 9pm. Camera's were allowed, so I took a few! Robin had on his new white suit with a black/white check tie (very sharp looking)! Rick, a very nice gray suit with a Piece t-shirt and Tom's suit looked like a blue kind of pin stripe.

Robin's mic was off to Tom's side more. Taped to the floor, Keith noticed the set list, I put the zoom in on my camera and took a picture...it's upside down, but I got the set list and here it is in order:

Hello there
Big eyes
Welcome to the world
Cali Man
Best Friend (simply awesome, I will never tire of this one)
IWYTWM
IKWIW
High Roller
The Flame
70's song
Surrender

Encore:
DP
Goodnight

I had gotten a Budokan program from a friend that went. She gave it to me tonight (thanks for having it in that zip lock bag) saved it from the rain! At the beginning of the show I held it up and Tom saw it and asked "Where you there"...nope!! Later, Rick saw it as I held it up again and he saw his picture on the cover and mouthed "that's me"!!

Rick didn't seem to talk as much tonight (odd)!! He did wish his daughter a Happy Birthday and something about she was to buy everyone a drink!

After their first or second song, Rick donated his guitar (sorry don't know the type) to the HRC Cool but it was a black/white check one. Looked like the one that's now on the lower level of the HRC. It used to be upstairs. There was also one of Bun's drum's hanging next to it. Couldn't get a very good picture, as it was behind the band on the wall.

The concert ended by 10:10pm. Even with all the rain and getting soaking wet, I had a great time!!

Thanks CT for the invite!!

- Dawn9 - 05-08-2008

Obviously, I was way more long winded than Voices...we must have posted at the same time!!

P.S.
THANKS!! For the goodies in the zip lock bag!!!

- Dawn9 - 05-08-2008

Obviously, I was way more long winded than Voices...we must have posted at the same time!!

P.S.
THANKS!! For the goodies in the zip lock bag!!!

- Tricked In 76 II - 05-08-2008

My Cheap Trick buds don't take no crap from stupidstoneddrunk chicks , and I helped ! :Wink:

My Cheap Trick buds don't take no crap from stupidstoneddrunk chicks , and I helped ! :Wink:

And this is where I insert my thanks to the HRC, WLUP, and TI, for a marvelous evening !
Let's do it again !

Nice to see as many familiar faces as I did, as well as the new ones I met. (Sister Thalia) <span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'>did I spell that right ?</span>

And this is where I insert my thanks to the HRC, WLUP, and TI, for a marvelous evening !
Let's do it again !

Nice to see as many familiar faces as I did, as well as the new ones I met. (Sister Thalia) <span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'>did I spell that right ?</span>

- Dawn9 - 05-08-2008

Tricked In 76 II Wrote:My Cheap Trick buds don't take no crap from stupidstoneddrunk chicks , and I helped ! :Wink:
Hah! I forgot about her! Towards the end of the show, a (put Keith's words here) tried to push her way up front. Ummmm didn't work now did it, not gonna happen! Thanks for your help Keith!!

- Dawn9 - 05-08-2008

Tricked In 76 II Wrote:My Cheap Trick buds don't take no crap from stupidstoneddrunk chicks , and I helped ! :Wink:
Hah! I forgot about her! Towards the end of the show, a (put Keith's words here) tried to push her way up front. Ummmm didn't work now did it, not gonna happen! Thanks for your help Keith!!

- Debbie Lowe - 05-08-2008

Dawn9 Wrote:
I seem to recall a lot of Chicago shows where that happens and it's never worked yet! Hell, I even took a punch to the face from someone who tried to get in front of me at, of all places, THE HARD ROCK years ago! Big Grin

Hey Dawn, do you remember the girl at one of The Vic shows years back who was whipping her really long hair around in all our faces? If only had had scissors with me.....

- Debbie Lowe - 05-08-2008

Dawn9 Wrote:
I seem to recall a lot of Chicago shows where that happens and it's never worked yet! Hell, I even took a punch to the face from someone who tried to get in front of me at, of all places, THE HARD ROCK years ago! Big Grin

Hey Dawn, do you remember the girl at one of The Vic shows years back who was whipping her really long hair around in all our faces? If only had had scissors with me.....

- Maureen999 - 05-08-2008

Thanks for your help Keith!! I thought I was going to have to kick some ass when she shoved her way in front of my friend Holly!! See you next time!!!

- Maureen999 - 05-08-2008

Thanks for your help Keith!! I thought I was going to have to kick some ass when she shoved her way in front of my friend Holly!! See you next time!!!