Goodnight
08-11-2017, 10:37 PM,
RE: set list - Clarkston MI - 8/11/17
Can't Hold On is coma-inducing if you don't know it
Bad song to put in a non-headlining set
Need Your love is a great call though
08-13-2017, 10:36 AM,
(08-11-2017, 10:37 PM)DaveGT Wrote: Can't Hold On is coma-inducing if you don't know it

I LOVED Can't Hold On- it was amazing!  I think it was my fav in the set list!
Definitely my favourite!  Heart
A Cheap Trick blanket, that will keep you warm.
08-13-2017, 11:03 AM,
Some nice photos here.
08-14-2017, 01:55 AM,
(08-13-2017, 10:36 AM)kebmpq Wrote:
(08-11-2017, 10:37 PM)DaveGT Wrote: Can't Hold On is coma-inducing if you don't know it

WOMAN!!
Glad you made it to this show. Any new quilts in the making?
08-14-2017, 07:08 AM,
(08-14-2017, 01:55 AM)Schlichtl Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 10:36 AM)kebmpq Wrote:

WOMAN!!
Glad you made it to this show. Any new quilts in the making?

Took us 5 hours for a 2 hour drive so I was very concerned we wouldn't make it in time.  And yes......
08-14-2017, 12:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2017, 12:09 PM by TXTrick.)
Play a few odd ball songs if playing a 20+ song set, otherwise the majority want the hits!
The crowd vibe is better and part of the show as well.  Remind people of the good stuff.
I want to see a band play their biggest hits, not too much obscure stuff that may be fine to listen to on a road trip.
To continue opening with hello and closing with goodnight?  What are thinking?  That might work if doing a seriously long set but puzzling to the majority.
Can't Hold On?  Love the coma inducing comment.  Those kind of songs suck the oxygen out of a room and I can imagine you could feel the audience energy level shrink.  Maybe 10 "fans" would be engaged while thousands are put off.
Gosh I wish these guys would get their fingers on the pulse of the experience arena rock show patrons want and not what the few weird fans that want to hear crap songs like waiting for the man, put you sleep songs like heaven tonight, can't hold on.
They're back in the limelight like they haven't been in years and need to act like an arena band when playing arenas.  They will gain more fans and sell more records this way.  10 may think it's great to hear tv violence in lieu of one of the hits while 10,000 want to the hear the hit song and not have it sacrificed for something quirky.  Very doubtful even 1 new fan would leave and think about seeking out Cant hold on, however a new fan likely would seek out long time coming, as it sounds like a great rock song.
08-14-2017, 12:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2017, 12:08 PM by TXTrick.)
dup, delete
08-14-2017, 01:14 PM,
(08-14-2017, 12:06 PM)TXTrick Wrote: Play a few odd ball songs if playing a 20+ song set, otherwise the majority want the hits!
The crowd vibe is better and part of the show as well.  Remind people of the good stuff.
I want to see a band play their biggest hits, not too much obscure stuff that may be fine to listen to on a road trip.
To continue opening with hello and closing with goodnight?  What are thinking?  That might work if doing a seriously long set but puzzling to the majority.
Can't Hold On?  Love the coma inducing comment.  Those kind of songs suck the oxygen out of a room and I can imagine you could feel the audience energy level shrink.  Maybe 10 "fans" would be engaged while thousands are put off.
Gosh I wish these guys would get their fingers on the pulse of the experience arena rock show patrons want and not what the few weird fans that want to hear crap songs like waiting for the man, put you sleep songs like heaven tonight, can't hold on.
They're back in the limelight like they haven't been in years and need to act like an arena band when playing arenas.  They will gain more fans and sell more records this way.  10 may think it's great to hear tv violence in lieu of one of the hits while 10,000 want to the hear the hit song and not have it sacrificed for something quirky.  Very doubtful even 1 new fan would leave and think about seeking out Cant hold on, however a new fan likely would seek out long time coming, as it sounds like a great rock song.

Well it's a good thing they played Long Time Coming in addition to Can't Hold On this past Friday- you happy with that?

I was one of your estimated 10 "fans" that enjoyed Can't Hold On and happy they added it to the set list that the band compiles, thankfully not taking into account all the negative comments and the I wish they would play requests from probably the same people that are still wishing that Bun E would come back. 
And I don't even know why people keep saying play the biggest hits- they do the top most recognizable songs every show.  What songs are bigger than IWY2WM, Surrender, The Flame, Dream Police etc? Maybe Can't Hold On, that could be a bigger hit if added to the set lists every night just to piss off people like you and all the new fans that might not have heard it yet.
08-14-2017, 01:28 PM,
(08-14-2017, 01:14 PM)kebmpq Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 12:06 PM)TXTrick Wrote: Play a few odd ball songs if playing a 20+ song set, otherwise the majority want the hits!

Well it's a good thing they played Long Time Coming in addition to Can't Hold On this past Friday- you happy with that?

I was one of your estimated 10 "fans" that enjoyed Can't Hold On and happy they added it to the set list that the band compiles, thankfully not taking into account all the negative comments and the I wish they would play requests from probably the same people that are still wishing that Bun E would come back. 
And I don't even know why people keep saying play the biggest hits- they do the top most recognizable songs every show.  What songs are bigger than IWY2WM, Surrender, The Flame, Dream Police etc? Maybe Can't Hold On, that could be a bigger hit if added to the set lists every night just to piss off people like you and all the new fans that might not have heard it yet.

I concur they can play whatever the fuçk they want as far as I'm concerned.  Tongue
08-14-2017, 07:26 PM,

I'm not talking about strictly billboard hits but classic songs rock fans in general know.  The fact is one of their biggest songs She's Tight is constantly omitted and it pisses me and many, many others when it's not played, I can't say it enough times--WTH is wrong with these guys, play it!  Aint That A Shame, If You Want My Love, I Can't Take It, Southern Girls need to be played cause those songs sound right for the arena.  Cheap Trick has an opportunity to really get big again and doing these kind of setlists are not helping.  It might be mother's milk for the less than 100 on this message board to hear Can't Hold On, Waiting for the man but not to the thousand others at the big show.  Example-AC/DC understands Touch Too Much maybe a great song but doesn't work well with a huge audience, so they drop it.  When they're playing 20+ songs, then fine, play the non-arena, road trip, sitting at home stuff if they must but still keep the big songs beyond just the 4 in the set.  The audience vibe is so much better.  The majority are paying to hear the known stuff + a few obscure songs that have some bombast are fine.   
This band has had so many missteps and need to get out there and behave like a headliner arena rock band and kill it.   

I like the obscure songs Dream the night away and Time is Running.  However, my wishes for the band's success are more important than greedily wanting  a huge audience to hear those.  I rather the band not play these and instead play the songs that will really grab new fans and make them bigger and more appreciated in the rock world.  Those songs, while ok, will not help these guys.

Go to yutube and read comments from Cheap Trick-Jones Beach- July 20, 2017.  This is the general consensus if you pay attention at the arena shows like these. 

Bottom line is all should want the band to be as huge as possible and to do it is to make the best impression on these arena tours.  The message board folks will get their cult, star trek convention, avant garde type stuff soon enough.  Meanwhile let's hope CT does get their fingers on the pulse of the patrons in the arena paying over $100 a ticket and deliver the goods they have and not subject the audience to the less than stellar stuff.
08-14-2017, 08:59 PM,
As far as Bun E not being in the band...it's the best thing to happen to CT.  They are on fire again.  The 2 new albums are awesome, cannot praise them enough.  Daxx has put the right attitude back in the band.  I see it on stage and hear it with the new material.  Only a jackass or someone in denial would want Bun E back as the energy within the band is great.  Can feel more than ever when going to the shows.  Wish Daxx would've replaced Bun E as soon as he was of age.  Thank goodness.  Think I will buy more copies of their new stuff to turn people on to them.
08-15-2017, 01:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-15-2017, 01:11 AM by pick.)

Bollocks!  Can't Hold On is fantastic blues! Tongue  Love that song!
08-15-2017, 08:15 AM,
(08-14-2017, 07:26 PM)TXTrick Wrote:

I'm not talking about strictly billboard hits but classic songs rock fans in general know.  The fact is one of their biggest songs She's Tight is constantly omitted and it pisses me and many, many others when it's not played, I can't say it enough times--WTH is wrong with these guys, play it!  Aint That A Shame, If You Want My Love, I Can't Take It, Southern Girls need to be played cause those songs sound right for the arena.  Cheap Trick has an opportunity to really get big again and doing these kind of setlists are not helping.  It might be mother's milk for the less than 100 on this message board to hear Can't Hold On, Waiting for the man but not to the thousand others at the big show.  Example-AC/DC understands Touch Too Much maybe a great song but doesn't work well with a huge audience, so they drop it.  When they're playing 20+ songs, then fine, play the non-arena, road trip, sitting at home stuff if they must but still keep the big songs beyond just the 4 in the set.  The audience vibe is so much better.  The majority are paying to hear the known stuff + a few obscure songs that have some bombast are fine.   
This band has had so many missteps and need to get out there and behave like a headliner arena rock band and kill it.   

I like the obscure songs Dream the night away and Time is Running.  However, my wishes for the band's success are more important than greedily wanting  a huge audience to hear those.  I rather the band not play these and instead play the songs that will really grab new fans and make them bigger and more appreciated in the rock world.  Those songs, while ok, will not help these guys.

Go to yutube and read comments from Cheap Trick-Jones Beach- July 20, 2017.  This is the general consensus if you pay attention at the arena shows like these. 

Bottom line is all should want the band to be as huge as possible and to do it is to make the best impression on these arena tours.  The message board folks will get their cult, star trek convention, avant garde type stuff soon enough.  Meanwhile let's hope CT does get their fingers on the pulse of the patrons in the arena paying over $100 a ticket and deliver the goods they have and not subject the audience to the less than stellar stuff.
You lost me once you started blabbing about ACDC.
08-15-2017, 09:12 AM,
(08-15-2017, 08:15 AM)kebmpq Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 07:26 PM)TXTrick Wrote:

You lost me once you started blabbing about ACDC.

They're the best band the UK has ever produced.   Confused