Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RRHOF review
04-09-2016, 08:43 PM,
RRHOF review
Went to the RRHOF Induction Ceremony with my son and "houseisrockin".
Some comments/observations (just my opinions...don't get offended):
  • I barely fit into my Cheap Trick satin jacket.  But I shouldn't have been too shocked considering that I bought it when I was 15.
  • I wasn't too impressed with the Barclays Center, especially since it is a relatively new arena.  The outside looks state-of-the-art, but the inside is pretty dark and crappy...narrow concourses, limited concessions, only one escalator working to get to the second level, etc.    
  • There was NO merchandise sold at the event.  I was hoping there would be a commemorative t-shirt or program but there was NOTHING.  Some people had homemade Cheap Trick tshirts with "Hall of Fame" within the CT logo.  They would have made a fortune if they sold those.
  • David Byrne and the Roots did a cool version of "Fame" to honor David Bowie.  This was very well done...a thousand times better than Lady Gaga's lame, self-indulgent tribute during the Grammys.
  • Surprisingly, Lars did a great induction speech for Deep Purple.  It was very personal and had some funny moments.  It was easy to tell that he really was a big fan of the band.  
  • Most of the speeches were hard to hear.  The microphone was too low and wasn't raised.  Very strange that this wasn't figured out beforehand.  
  • It was disappointing that Ritchie Blackmore did not appear.   Steve Morse is a very good guitar player, but he's no Blackmore.
  • Deep Purple's performance was good but Ian Gillan struggled a bit. 
  • I was surprised that David Coverdale (who looks like an ugly member of Charlie's Angels) and Glenn Hughes didn't perform with DP.
  • I don't think that the guys from the Black Keys had any idea who Steve Miller was.
  • Sorry Steve Miller fans, but I thought "Fly Like an Eagle" was painful.  
  • You may not agree that NWA belongs in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but I thought they handled it well....especially Ice Cube (not to be confused with Ice T, or Vanilla Ice) who addressed the issue directly in his speech.
  • I'm not a fan of NWA but I was disappointed that they didn't perform.  
  • The Sheryl Crow/Grace Potter acoustic version of "New Kid in Town" as a tribute to Glen Frey was very good. 
  • The drummer for Chicago was a nut but it was an honest moment as he had a lot to say and he wasn't going to let anyone piss on his parade.
  • Can't say that I own any Chicago music but I thought they were really good.  I wouldn't want to see a full concert of theirs, but the 3 songs were entertaining. 
  • In a night of surprises, Kid Rock was actually pretty funny and I thought he did a good job for CT.
  • It was really great to see Bun.
  • I really liked all of the CT speeches. They were all well-spoken, heartfelt, humorous and appreciative.  I was particularly impressed with Tom and the place cheered loudly for his comments about Rock Your Speech.
  • I thought that Robin's crack about lawsuits was directed at Bun.  
  • Rick was very funny.  He gave his Miller High Life guitar to Steve Miller and then told him "I love you man..now get out of here". 
  • Before I make my next remark, I want to point out that I love the new Bang Zoom CD, and I love the longer setlists with Daxx, etc, etc, etc....but it was GREAT hear CT with Bun on the drums again.  Bun is a phenomenal drummer and I'm glad that I got the opportunity see the original lineup together again.   
  • Bun looked like he lost a lot of weight. 
  • The finale of Ain't That a Shame was the final surprise of the night.  I was psyched that they were doing the CT version of the song but it was a little disjointed.  For example, Sheryl Crow's mike was off for her verse and it didn't seem like the guitarists knew when it was their turn for a solo.  But it was still a cool moment to see.
  • David Coverdale was awful. 
  • Got to talk to some board members after the show.  It was nice to say hello to Adam, Zizi, Danny F'N Saint, and the legend Kim G.
Overall, it was awesome.  I'm glad and fortunate that I had the opportunity to attend a once-in-a-lifetime event with my son and an old friend to honor a band that has been a huge part of my life.  It was a night I will never forget.

Bye-bye, so long, farewell, bye-bye, so long, sayonara, bye-bye, au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen,
JCC

"I Want You to ROCK YOUR SPEECH!!!"
04-09-2016, 08:48 PM,
RE: RRHOF review
Thanks for the awesome readout.
04-09-2016, 08:54 PM,
Great review. Thanks.
I, too found it odd Robin had to say something and find it refreshing to see Bun E. be the bigger man by letting it slide and thanking everyone, including Robin.
From the crappy sound on the videos on youtube, I thought they sounded great having Bun E. on the kit. Can't wait to see the HBO quality videos in a few weeks. Other than having Kid Rock introduce them, it seems the HOF showed them great respect.

https://sputinc7.wixsite.com/covwc

I didn't do it.   But, if I did do it, it was an accident! Angel

if you lose your head and give up, you niether live nor win. that's just the way it is.
 Exclamation
04-09-2016, 09:44 PM,
Great post. There, I said it.
04-10-2016, 07:27 AM,
very nice review. I'm glad you got to attend. Your comment about Chicago hit home for me. I saw them back in 1989. This was when they were all over the charts. I went with a friend who was a bigger fan than I was. I think they played every hit song they had (there were a lot), but I remember being somewhat bored. I remember thinking, "For $20 (ticket price back then), I would rather by their Greatest Hits CD and just listen to it in my living room".

Clem
04-10-2016, 11:37 AM,
Great post. Thanks. Agree with everything you said about Bun.
"Vambo Rool OK!"
04-10-2016, 03:44 PM,
What he said.
04-10-2016, 05:05 PM,
Pretty spot on review. Couldn't have said it better.
Turn off your mind relax and float down stream...
04-10-2016, 06:18 PM,
Thanks for the review! Wish I could have been there!
04-10-2016, 08:53 PM,
Steve Morse is a lot better guitarist than Blackmore, chops-wise. Certainly more versatile. But then again, I hate Deep Purple regardless who is playing guitar.
And with all the loves and hates and passions just like mine...
04-11-2016, 09:45 AM,
Johnny, I was there too and sorry that I didn't get to meet you.  I was out front after with the group that you mentioned but didn't get to talk to everyone.  (If you saw someone in a hat with a checkerboard band that was me!!)  

Anyway, I agree with your take on the evening.  The Black Keys sounded like they were literally reading Steve Miller's Wikpedia page (I think they even joked about that) and clearly had no idea of the depth of his career.  He knew it too because when he got up to speak he even started by saying something like "Let me tell you what really happened and how I got here..."  I kind of felt bad that he had to do his own bio.  

Kid Rock was awesome!!  I know there were a lot of people disgruntled about him being the chosen one but, he honestly gave a good speech that was heartfelt and funny.  

I cringed when Robin said the word "lawsuit" and wish he hadn't gone there but he didn't elaborate so it was only a split second or two.  He and Bun E shared a couple of handshakes after that which was good to see.  

Loved the 3 songs that Cheap Trick played even if IWYTWM was at one of the fastest tempo's I've ever heard it done at.  I was thinking "enjoy this boys...Slow Down!!" but it was fun.  The entire place was on their feet during IWYTWM, Dream Police and Surrender.  People stood after every band's 3 song set but it was only Cheap Trick that I saw people on their feet the whole time.  Everyone was singing along and it was a beautiful thing to see.  Smile

I saw more Cheap Trick t-shirts and checkerboard on people than I did any other band so I think they were sort of the fan favorite that night.  Guess this is why the Hall of Fame scheduled them to be last which was a good idea because they brought down the house.  Nobody would have wanted to follow them.   Big Grin
Debbie Lowe
"Thought no one could hear me, I was goin' insane...!"
"Dance, dance, dance across the floor, a lust for life I've never seen before"
04-11-2016, 10:05 AM,
(04-11-2016, 09:45 AM)Debbie Lowe Wrote: Johnny, I was there too and sorry that I didn't get to meet you.  I was out front after with the group that you mentioned but didn't get to talk to everyone.  (If you saw someone in a hat with a checkerboard band that was me!!)  

Anyway, I agree with your take on the evening.  The Black Keys sounded like they were literally reading Steve Miller's Wikpedia page (I think they even joked about that) and clearly had no idea of the depth of his career.  He knew it too because when he got up to speak he even started by saying something like "Let me tell you what really happened and how I got here..."  I kind of felt bad that he had to do his own bio.  

Kid Rock was awesome!!  I know there were a lot of people disgruntled about him being the chosen one but, he honestly gave a good speech that was heartfelt and funny.  

I cringed when Robin said the word "lawsuit" and wish he hadn't gone there but he didn't elaborate so it was only a split second or two.  He and Bun E shared a couple of handshakes after that which was good to see.  

Loved the 3 songs that Cheap Trick played even if IWYTWM was at one of the fastest tempo's I've ever heard it done at.  I was thinking "enjoy this boys...Slow Down!!" but it was fun.  The entire place was on their feet during IWYTWM, Dream Police and Surrender.  People stood after every band's 3 song set but it was only Cheap Trick that I saw people on their feet the whole time.  Everyone was singing along and it was a beautiful thing to see.  Smile

I saw more Cheap Trick t-shirts and checkerboard on people than I did any other band so I think they were sort of the fan favorite that night.  Guess this is why the Hall of Fame scheduled them to be last which was a good idea because they brought down the house.  Nobody would have wanted to follow them.   Big Grin

Great recap. Re Robin & Bun, it was really cool to see Bun crack up when Robin said it was his turn to change the channel...sharing an inside joke like old friends. And the handshake right after made it all seem genuine. I guess we can all read Robin's lawsuit quip differently (I thought what he said to his older kids was more of a respone to Bun's whiny voice jab in RS), but I thought his speech as a whole was funny and touching.
04-11-2016, 10:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-11-2016, 10:34 AM by DaveGT.)
(04-11-2016, 09:45 AM)Debbie Lowe Wrote: Loved the 3 songs that Cheap Trick played even if IWYTWM was at one of the fastest tempo's I've ever heard it done at.  I was thinking "enjoy this boys...Slow Down!!" but it was fun.

If you saw the rehearsal footage, Robin had his back to Bun E. & mimicked Bun E playing too fast too Rick Big Grin
04-11-2016, 10:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-11-2016, 10:59 AM by FredZeppelin.)
(04-11-2016, 10:34 AM)DaveGT Wrote:
(04-11-2016, 09:45 AM)Debbie Lowe Wrote: Loved the 3 songs that Cheap Trick played even if IWYTWM was at one of the fastest tempo's I've ever heard it done at.  I was thinking "enjoy this boys...Slow Down!!" but it was fun.

If you saw the rehearsal footage, Robin had his back to Bun E. & mimicked Bun E playing too fast too Rick  Big Grin

Blimey! I just played the clip. That was hilarious.

Probably best to keep Daxx on the payroll.
04-11-2016, 12:07 PM,
Great posts from everyone! I wished I could have been there to witness the event yet, JCC and Debbie Lowe gave us some fine posts.

Many thanks!

Hamerica