09-28-2013, 11:04 PM,
RE: Set list -9/28/13- Charleston IL
Awww..Tonight It's You. Love it!! Smile
Debbie Lowe
"Thought no one could hear me, I was goin' insane...!"
"Dance, dance, dance across the floor, a lust for life I've never seen before"
09-29-2013, 09:12 AM,
I had a great time last night! No offense to EIU types but the crowd surprised me with their enthusiasm. Lots of standing all over Lantz Arena. Kim G. got a great shot of the "cellphone salute" our boys received before the encores.

Robin's voice was flawless, I must say. They all looked like they were having a great time. I always get such a kick watching them just playing music and enjoying each other.

The venue was a bit odd - somewhat to our advantage. We could stand in the hallway and see and hear soundcheck - so that was a big treat! "Yeah, Yeah" along with an extended rehearsal and run through of "You Take Me to the Top."

I need to say that the following will speak volumes to the calibre of set lists we've seen lately. And I'm not complaining! However, this wasn't my favorite set list. I got the impression that the focus on hits was based on the event which was "Family Weekend" at EIU.

Nevertheless - they sounded wonderful and there were many highlights!

*Elo Kiddies sounded great in that cavernous venue.

*TIY & IYWML - two of my faves!

*Uncle Dick was on hand for "She's Tight"! Yay!

*Robin's acapella intro of NHALTL! Very fun!

*Seeing his daughter sitting side stage and peeking around some amps for a better view.

*Rick almost missed Daxx's intro on CS10 - so there was a father son smirk off afterward

*During DP they had a special guest - an actual officer in uniform who was dragged around by RN & RZ. He sang and played (?) guitar and it was a hoot. RZ called for security. LOL Also, there was a James Brown moment during RZ's typical kneel down in which RZ's tech draped his sparkly DP blazer over Robin's shoulders. I'd never seen this bit before but I freakin' LOVED IT.

The stage door allowed opportunities to see the guys as they came and went. They stopped and did photos and autographs as much as time allowed. I tried to not be selfish and let other fans get a chance to do their thing. Not without having a nice chat with Daxx who was kind enough to ask about my boys at home. Getting a hug from Robin and Rick was pretty great too. Smile

This was also special because my BFF from Yokohama City was there. And we got to spend some quality time with some of my favorite Chicago types. Except for this one guy with a weird British accent. Man, was he annoying! Big Grin

Anyway - thanks to the boys from Rockford, Illinois! And thanks to their crew for helping them do what they do.

Uh, oh... I'm severely sleep deprived and writing horrible rhymes. Ack!!
I've got a kaleidoscope of memories...

"I prefer to listen to Cheap Trick."
-Homer J. Simpson
09-29-2013, 11:47 AM,
Aw, that was a sincere joy to read, Lisa! Thanks for your review! :-)
Music is religion; it's a spiritual thing that transcends everything - RZ
09-29-2013, 05:02 PM,
Great show as always. Great to see everyone as always and great to see a packed house. Love it when they come within a few hours of my house.
Cheap Trick fan since 1977

"We got off the plane and thought, 'Man, there's somebody real famous here.' And then we found out it was us." - Rick Nielsen
09-29-2013, 05:17 PM,
Glad it was fun, and enjoyed the review!
The more I think about, the less that it matters; the less I think about, the more that it matters...
09-29-2013, 09:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-29-2013, 09:27 PM by CrystalM.)
Thank you, Rick, Robin, Tom and Daxx, for another great show! What fun we had in the the Land of Lincoln. The 14-year-old birthday girl got to hear her favorite songs, and I have some new picks thanks to Rick’s expert flicking.

All of the band members had high energy and perma-grins during the 90-minute set. After a great guitar solo, Rick's faked like he was about to crowd surf before gingerly climbing down from his box. Tom was wearing jeans, girls. And Robin was resplendent as the man in black.

The set list was solid, but a bit more rated-G, adult-contemporary-oriented than I prefer. Not hating, just stating. I love that they mix and match from their deep catalog, but this collection didn’t include anything very edgy. I like a bit more punk rock. But considering the grandparents and kids in attendance, I can understand the selections overall - it just felt a bit tepid! Robin's voice was liquid gold though.

I managed to snap a few photos before the campus cops put the kibosh on photos. It should be noted that the uniformed and plainclothes security there were dicks. Several of the pinkertons threatened to kick people out for taking photos, saying it was a “band rule.” They also harassed folks for dancing in the aisles. Meanwhile, they were playing with their phones and refused to intervene when a stinking drunk guy without a ticket was groping women and climbing over seats and knocking over chairs. So, when one of the jackboots was trotted up on stage during Dream Police, those of us who had experienced their power-tripping antics weren’t exactly amused and in fact were hoping his jack-boot might get caught in a cord.....JK. NIN.

While the performance was splendid, the logistics of the show left something to be desired. I was joking with the student workers that it was, in fact, their first rodeo. They had many student workers but no real set-up for scanning tickets and directing people to the right section of the basketball arena.There were not bathrooms for the floor section available for concet-goers, so people actually had to go up 4 flights of stairs to get to a bathroom, then come down and go through the ticket line again. Workers seemed confused and disinterested at the same time.

EIU's finest scholars also took the spotlight. The opening act was a lineup of Panther students being presented with scholarships, and proud parents, siblings and grandparents were in attendance. It was sweet. I never had the chance at a rock concert and yell out "Yeah, English major, WOOOT!" before. Keep hitting those books! Don't listen to what Robin sang about "school's for fools!" (He was being ironic.)

On a final high note, the weekend offered perfect weather for tenting at Fox Ridge State Park and a visit the next morning to Lincoln's cabin was a delight! So cozy!

Was the 18 hours in the car these past two days worth it? Absolutely!

"....and I'm laughin' inside all the while....."
09-29-2013, 11:06 PM,
Music  RE: Set list -9/28/13- Charleston IL
It's always a pleasure to hang out with awesome friends and see my favorite band too! It was fun to be with Junko on her birthday weekend and to chauffeur her, Lisa J. and another friend to/from the show!

Fun time to be in the building during the sound check and because of the way the arena is, we could actually see the guys on the stage!

The only thing that almost made the evening a horrible one was the near head on collision I had on the drive home. I had to drive off the road onto the shoulder to avoid the (insert your own expletive here) Angry
"You're Takin' Me Back"
09-30-2013, 07:55 AM,
Hi, Dawn. That must have been you and your friends listening to the warm-up! Nice to see you there. What airport is anywhere near EIU? Terre Haute?

And I would like to clarify my earlier comments on the set list. I wouldn't expect "He's a Whore" or "Auffie" at a family event, necessarily. But how about "Voices," "World's Greatest Lover," "Just Got Back," "So Good to See You," "Mandocello......" "Ohm Sweet Ohm"......plenty of great family-friendly songs for the mixed generations to enjoy. I guess I wanted to hear more real CT songs written by my favorite songwriter, R. Nielsen, instead of so much The Flame, In the Street, Don't Be Cruel, Ain't That a Shame........It felt a little like Cheap Trick Lite - but surely there was no better place to be last Saturday!
"....and I'm laughin' inside all the while....."
09-30-2013, 09:08 AM,
(09-29-2013, 11:06 PM)Dawn9 Wrote: It's always a pleasure to hang out with awesome friends and see my favorite band too! It was fun to be with Junko on her birthday weekend and to chauffeur her, Lisa J. and another friend to/from the show!

Fun time to be in the building during the sound check and because of the way the arena is, we could actually see the guys on the stage!

The only thing that almost made the evening a horrible one was the near head on collision I had on the drive home. I had to drive off the road onto the shoulder to avoid the (insert your own expletive here) Angry

OMG!! Lucky you have quick reflexes; I shudder to think of a carload of CT Superfans being in an accident! Confused

But it sounds like a fine concert, as usual, so I'm glad you had a good time. I was living vicariously through the posts I saw from you all on Facebook! Smile
Debbie Lowe
"Thought no one could hear me, I was goin' insane...!"
"Dance, dance, dance across the floor, a lust for life I've never seen before"
09-30-2013, 10:58 AM,
Still a great set. Good to see Uncle Dick has returned to the rotation.
09-30-2013, 11:20 AM,
Dawn, glad you are ok!! Thank God!!!

Also very happy you all had a fantastic time celebrating Junko's birthday!! Wish I could have been there with you.

Lisa, The past couple show I've attend they did the draping of the coat. I don't know, after a few times seeing it, it gets a little cheesy, but all hail RZ. LOL

Sounds like a fun time had by all. Smile

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ My World Is In A Spin, You Want To Come On In  ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ 
09-30-2013, 11:47 AM,
Looks like Tom played his Waterstone 12 string bass for this gig instead of his new Gretsch 12 string bass. Cool!
09-30-2013, 01:16 PM,
I'm just behind the times in many regards, I guess. Or I'm not seeing them enough. I'll have to tell Tim that. LOL!
I've got a kaleidoscope of memories...

"I prefer to listen to Cheap Trick."
-Homer J. Simpson