Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RRHOF on HBO Saturday
05-01-2016, 07:54 AM,
RE: RRHOF on HBO Saturday
Hey Dave -- re-watch Surrender. It's not Bun that messes up...... Rick goes into brain freeze and doesn't play on the one. (watch Rick's hands at 11:39)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60LaHQr5Ye0

and here's Bun's unedited speech. not sure where you see laughing when he refers to the guys as bandmates. unless it was edited weirdly last night, the laughing comes after he says "one bagpiper from Memphis" (go to 1:24 - 1:36)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IExtKmoCKGg

(04-30-2016, 09:32 PM)DaveGT Wrote: I was recording it & OF COURSE the feed went blank on Tom's speech so I had to reboot SLING
They did a weird edit & cut out Robin's "I Want You To Want Me" part of his speech.
The HBO cameras caught a few things:
The band laughing when Bun E. called them his band mates.
Rick smiling during "Bun E's allright" (Surrender) & Bun E's mistake at the end of Surrender was really obvious

I will post an edited version soon

Oh & no Dream Police
05-01-2016, 09:58 AM,
(05-01-2016, 07:54 AM)Donplob2 Wrote: Hey Dave -- re-watch Surrender. It's not Bun that messes up...... Rick goes into brain freeze and doesn't play on the one. (watch Rick's hands at 11:39)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60LaHQr5Ye0

and here's Bun's unedited speech. not sure where you see laughing when he refers to the guys as bandmates. unless it was edited weirdly last night, the laughing comes after he says "one bagpiper from Memphis" (go to 1:24 - 1:36)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IExtKmoCKGg

(04-30-2016, 09:32 PM)DaveGT Wrote: I was recording it & OF COURSE the feed went blank on Tom's speech so I had to reboot SLING
They did a weird edit & cut out Robin's "I Want You To Want Me" part of his speech.
The HBO cameras caught a few things:
The band laughing when Bun E. called them his band mates.
Rick smiling during "Bun E's allright" (Surrender) & Bun E's mistake at the end of Surrender was really obvious

I will post an edited version soon

Oh & no Dream Police

The end mistake was Bun E's on Surrender
He did not accent after the vocals ended. Every live version the band ends with the accents . He missed the first set
Here is a version to compare
https://youtu.be/th370QmFtk8?t=4m20s

You might be right about the laughing edit. No wonder I did not notice it on the YT version. That was a weird edit
05-01-2016, 10:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-01-2016, 10:56 AM by rmartinez.)
Bun E does not make a mistake, he merely keeps playing the same beat and does not accent. Maybe he forgot, since he accents on the second part of the ending.

Rick's hand is not even on the guitar neck when the ending starts.

In the least, both made a mistake on that ending. Rick's was more noticeable. To us hardcore fans! Not at all to the audience.

Also, Bun probably has not played these songs in six years. Considering, he did a fantastic job.

Odds are he will never play them again.
05-01-2016, 11:31 AM,
(05-01-2016, 10:55 AM)rmartinez Wrote: Bun E does not make a mistake, he merely keeps playing the same beat and does not accent. Maybe he forgot, since he accents on the second part of the ending.

In the least, both made a mistake on that ending. Rick's was more noticeable. To us hardcore fans! Not at all to the audience.

Also, Bun probably has not played these songs in six years. Considering, he did a fantastic job.

Odds are he will never play them with Rick,Robin & Tom again.   Wink
05-01-2016, 01:52 PM,
on the guys laughing during Bun's thank you -- after the line "Of course, thanks to all of my Cheap Trick bandmates" they cut out: "Rick, Tom, Robin, Jon, Pete, Xeno, Sluggo, the drum choirs, Hank & Keith, all the keyboard players, and one bagpiper from Memphis."

The bagpiper line made them all laugh.

He then said "Thanks you guys" to the big list of names.

By truncating it to "Of course, thanks to all of my Cheap Trick bandmates. Thanks you guys." it made it seem like they were laughing to his thank you.

it's a bummer - it's just not accurate representation of what really happened.
05-01-2016, 04:48 PM,
(04-30-2016, 11:53 PM)DaveGT Wrote:

They took it down already. Anyone know where a copy can be found?

https://sputinc7.wixsite.com/covwc

I didn't do it.   But, if I did do it, it was an accident! Angel

if you lose your head and give up, you niether live nor win. that's just the way it is.
 Exclamation
05-01-2016, 05:12 PM,
Who thanked Jon Brant, Pete Comita, Gene Simmons, and Paul Stanley but it was cut out?
05-01-2016, 05:39 PM,
(05-01-2016, 05:12 PM)BigEyes79 Wrote: Who thanked Jon Brant, Pete Comita, Gene Simmons, and Paul Stanley but it was cut out?

Was it Tom? I can't remember now.
05-01-2016, 05:46 PM,
(05-01-2016, 05:39 PM)rmartinez Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 05:12 PM)BigEyes79 Wrote: Who thanked Jon Brant, Pete Comita, Gene Simmons, and Paul Stanley but it was cut out?

Was it Tom? I can't remember now.

It was Bun.
05-01-2016, 10:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-01-2016, 10:12 PM by AllStrungOut.)
I really loved watching the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame ceremony last night.    I thought Cheap Trick stole the show...  Of course, I'm a big fan, so maybe my bias clouds my judgement.    I thought the guys all did great in their speeches.  I wish they hadn't cut out parts but I guess they did for everyone.      Bun E kept it classy...  I know he could have been a jerk if he wanted to.    

Funny thing is that they probably sold less records than any of the inductees last night but they still look good and seemed to be the one act that can still bring the goods live    It's another conversation but I really don't understand why they weren't more popular than they were.       Very proud to see them get the recognition they deserve....
05-02-2016, 02:40 PM,
One, Rick was just too odd for mainstream folks.You know how some people are... You can be as talented as you like, but if you don't look a certain way, they discredit you. Unfortunately, many of those rose to powerful places in the music industry during CT's span.
Two, they were too difficult to classify. Are they rock, hard rock, pop, or what? For some, having a classification and a certain "sound"(Think AC/DC) is necessary for them to like a group. They may think a song or two is ok, but if they don't all basically sound the same, they won't be your fan.
Three, they weren't known for playing well with record company brass, which basically got them somewhat blacklisted and discredited / disrespected publicly. (Think, creepy guy loves CT, cool girl calls them "kid's stuff" in a major motion picture)
I am sure others have theories, but these three resonate with me. I am happy they kept going thru it all...

https://sputinc7.wixsite.com/covwc

I didn't do it.   But, if I did do it, it was an accident! Angel

if you lose your head and give up, you niether live nor win. that's just the way it is.
 Exclamation
05-02-2016, 04:27 PM,
(05-01-2016, 11:31 AM)Darran Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 10:55 AM)rmartinez Wrote: Bun E does not make a mistake, he merely keeps playing the same beat and does not accent. Maybe he forgot, since he accents on the second part of the ending.

The city of Rockford is honouring the band in the fall by renaming streets for the original four members…
The plan is to also hold a concert with special guests from bands they have influenced over the years and more.
Bun will be a part of the celebrations and I will be shocked if he is not on stage with the band again to play at least one song.
My guess is a live album and DVD of the event will happen along the lines of 'Silver'.
If there is ever another event to bring them together again (other than a 50th) this is it. 
They are as proud of Rockford as it is of them. Egos and pride will be put aside once again, they have too much class not to let it happen.
05-02-2016, 04:48 PM,
(05-02-2016, 04:27 PM)clp Wrote:

The city of Rockford is honouring the band in the fall by renaming streets for the original four members…
The plan is to also hold a concert with special guests from bands they have influenced over the years and more.
Bun will be a part of the celebrations and I will be shocked if he is not on stage with the band again to play at least one song.
My guess is a live album and DVD of the event will happen along the lines of 'Silver'.
If there is ever another event to bring them together again (other than a 50th) this is it. 
They are as proud of Rockford as it is of them. Egos and pride will be put aside once again, they have too much class not to let it happen.

What date is this happening on Clive?
05-02-2016, 05:55 PM,
(05-02-2016, 04:48 PM)Darran Wrote:

They don't have the date set yet. At the moment it's loosely set for the fall. I think I heard mention of September. The newRockford website will be the place to check when details get ironed out I would suspect.
05-03-2016, 05:47 AM,
(05-02-2016, 05:55 PM)clp Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 04:48 PM)Darran Wrote:

They don't have the date set yet. At the moment it's loosely set for the fall. I think I heard mention of September. The newRockford website will be the place to check when details get ironed out I would suspect.

Thank you friend.