Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
George Starostin Cheap Trick Reviews
05-27-2017, 03:18 PM,
George Starostin Cheap Trick Reviews
Anyone here ever heard of this guy? The amount of music he has reviewed is sensational. Check out his Cheap Trick reviews. For the most part, I agree with a lot of his thoughts. He can be a bit brutal, but he's mostly funny. The first paragraph of his "Woke Up With a Monster" review is worth a click in and of itself.

http://only-solitaire.blogspot.com/searc...ap%20Trick

Clem
05-27-2017, 03:27 PM,
RE: George Starostin Cheap Trick Reviews
Never heard of him. But he's right about 'Woke Up With a Monster'!! Lol.
And with all the loves and hates and passions just like mine...
05-30-2017, 01:20 AM,
(05-27-2017, 03:18 PM)clem1234 Wrote: Anyone here ever heard of this guy?  The amount of music he has reviewed is sensational.   Check out his Cheap Trick reviews.  For the most part, I agree with a lot of his thoughts.  He can be a bit brutal, but he's mostly funny.   The first paragraph of his "Woke Up With a Monster" review is worth a click in and of itself.

Clem

I honestly don't know how anyone could complain about the production on Woke Up With A Monster!?!?  Especially after the production horrors of the 4 albums that preceded it.... (possibly even the 2 before that, which had production faults of their own...)
Yes, the artwork is appalling.  
Yes, the lyrics are largely dross (but they generally have been since RZ assumed those duties...) 
Yes, the album's uneven and contains a song every bit as diabolical as She's Got Motion, Kiss Me Red or No Mercy (Ride The Pony) 
BUT... half of the songs are great (My Gang, title track, Didn't Know I Had It, You're All I Wanna Do etc.) and even the ballads aren't terrible.

To me, the album did way more than just show a pulse after a slew of substandard releases.  It showed me that a Trick revival wasn't far away, as confirmed by CT97.
06-01-2017, 08:36 PM,
(05-30-2017, 01:20 AM)downunderdom Wrote:
(05-27-2017, 03:18 PM)clem1234 Wrote: Anyone here ever heard of this guy?  The amount of music he has reviewed is sensational.   Check out his Cheap Trick reviews.  For the most part, I agree with a lot of his thoughts.  He can be a bit brutal, but he's mostly funny.   The first paragraph of his "Woke Up With a Monster" review is worth a click in and of itself.

Clem

I honestly don't know how anyone could complain about the production on Woke Up With A Monster!?!?  Especially after the production horrors of the 4 albums that preceded it.... (possibly even the 2 before that, which had production faults of their own...)
Yes, the lyrics are largely dross (but they generally have been since RZ assumed those duties...) 
Yes, the album's uneven and contains a song every bit as diabolical as She's Got Motion, Kiss Me Red or No Mercy (Ride The Pony) 
BUT... half of the songs are great (My Gang, title track, Didn't Know I Had It, You're All I Wanna Do etc.) and even the ballads aren't terrible.

To me, the album did way more than just show a pulse after a slew of substandard releases.  It showed me that a Trick revival wasn't far away, as confirmed by CT97.

I wasn't necessarily agreeing with him about his overall opinion of WUWAM, I just thought the first paragraph was very funny. I found all of his reviews of CT albums very informative and amusing, and it boggles me that the guy has that much free time on his hands. Rarely will you find anyone whose opinions exactly match yours when discussing a wealth of music, so it's best to just enjoy the ride...... As like as the ride isn't on a pony.
(get it??? Ride the Pony??? Woke Up With a Monster????) Never mind.

Clem
06-01-2017, 09:30 PM,
(06-01-2017, 08:36 PM)clem1234 Wrote:
(05-30-2017, 01:20 AM)downunderdom Wrote:

Clem

I wasn't necessarily agreeing with him about his overall opinion of WUWAM, I just thought the first paragraph was very funny.  I found all of his reviews of CT albums very informative and amusing, and it boggles me that the guy has that much free time on his hands.   Rarely will you find anyone whose opinions exactly match yours when discussing a wealth of music, so it's best to just enjoy the ride...... As like as the ride isn't on a pony.  
(get it???     Ride the Pony???   Woke Up With a Monster????)    Never mind.

Clem

Nah, I wasn't having a go at you (and I largely agree with this guys reviews of CT records).  However, I've heard complaints previously about the production on WUWAM, and I just don't get it.  For all its faults with unevenness in its actual songs (rather than production), it was still comfortably CT's best album since Next Position Please.