Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'We're All Alright' album reviews thread.
06-24-2017, 01:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-24-2017, 01:41 PM by curiouser.)
RE: 'We're All Alright' album reviews thread.
Andy Partridge, Morrissey. Elvis Costello, Robyn Hitchcock, to name a few. As far as you wanting to continue to make this a pissing match over who writes better lyrics- I have zero f'cks to give.
And with all the loves and hates and passions just like mine...
06-24-2017, 06:17 PM,
I too lament the lazy lyrics. As we all know there's a little pushback when you're trying to turn someone onto Cheap Trick. And frequently my hesitation focuses on the lyrics...they're often awful. I'm frustrated that so much effort and talent goes into creating a wonderful song but someone didn't take the extra hour or two (or ten) to brush up the lyrics. It's their major shortcoming. And it baffles me. Fortunately there's some acceptable lyrics on the new album. But hell, they could be a lot better...particularly the repetition in the choruses....She's Alright, Fly on the Wall, Long Time Coming, and the banality of some of the other stuff. "If You Still Want My Love" is a gorgeous song but the lyrics are childish.

And yes, this does matter. No, no one is expecting poetry (or the Beatles) and no one is expecting the cleverness of their early career. But they should be less lazy about it. But then again I've spent 35 years adoring a band that also baffles the crap out of me about a lot of decisions they make. But at least they make enough good decisions to still be here and putting out decent albums so I'm happy about that. At the end of the day that's still a win for us fans. I just would like them to get a little more widespread appreciation and better lyrics would help. Seems like more missed opportunities.
06-24-2017, 11:01 PM,
The opinions are fair enough about the lyrics, but I take a bit of issue with accusing the band of being "lazy."
06-25-2017, 04:48 AM,
(06-24-2017, 11:01 PM)FredZeppelin Wrote: The opinions are fair enough about the lyrics, but I take a bit of issue with accusing the band of being "lazy."

Funny you should say that about "lazy" because I was having a discussion with someone last week about who is the hardest working band in the world. 
The discussion came around to Cliff Williams of AC/DC who announced his retirement before their last gig in September 2016.    
Could someone enlighten me as to what the fuçk he's retired from?
06-25-2017, 04:06 PM,
To anybody that thinks CT were a bastion of lyrical integrity ...

From CT77

But her money's green
Like tea and so's her teeth
06-26-2017, 03:40 PM,
(06-25-2017, 04:06 PM)DaveGT Wrote: To anybody that thinks CT were a bastion of lyrical integrity ...

From CT77

But her money's green
Like tea and so's her teeth

Genius.
"Vambo Rool OK!"
06-26-2017, 03:46 PM,
Here's mojos review:

With a title that nods to their 78 smash surrender, cheap tricks 18th studio set is deliberately nostalgic. Musically, however, it sounds fresh-packed, their post- Beatles hard rock colliding with the teen-punk angst of Nowhere to glorious effect. 3/5

That's all it gets? Come on you lazy fecks. It deserves a full page review not in "albums extra"
"Vambo Rool OK!"
06-26-2017, 07:39 PM,
(06-26-2017, 03:46 PM)dextershrill Wrote: Here's mojos review:

With a title that nods to their 78 smash surrender, cheap tricks 18th studio set is deliberately nostalgic. Musically,  however, it sounds fresh-packed, their post- Beatles hard rock colliding with the teen-punk angst of Nowhere to glorious effect. 3/5

That's all it gets? Come on you lazy fecks. It deserves a full page review not in "albums extra"

As far as Mojo goes that's a pretty decent review for the band. 
Thanks for posting.
06-27-2017, 12:57 PM,
I write songs and it is not easy coming up with something interesting to say, especially when so much has already been said and written about time worn themes like love and love lost. Try coming up with a catchy, interesting melody.
As John Lennon once said, writing songs is easy, writing good songs isn't.
I have had moments when I have written a good lyric or two, but for pop rock, or rock pop, repetition and simplicity are the name of the game. If you can do it cleverly, even better.
Repeating a phrase or a lyric is how you get a song to stick. Cheap Trick are REAL good at that.
Rick was always the one with the funny twisty lyrics, maybe he should be in charge of that, even if Robin and Tom wrote the song.
06-30-2017, 08:44 PM,
Proof that reviewers know very little about music.
I seen NOWHERE referenced as a "Ramones" type song & it sounds nothing like them.
It is closer to Sex Pistols in scope (except better musicianship)
07-11-2017, 12:20 PM,
I always give a new CT release a few weeks to resonate in my cranium. I like how a lot of people like different songs on this. There's not a clear favorite amongst what I've read here. I love how these guys are still rocking hard. They are the Kings of Hard Rock when they want to be and can come up with crazy good ballads. Rick's guitars have an insaneness to them on this release. Guitars are what he's about. They are in the forefront and Robin Zander is the best. No one better at matching the mood of a song. I like this cd. It has not left my car's cd player to and fro work and hither and yon here in Wisconsin where cheese and brats and Cheap trick go hand in hand in the land of Les Paul and Sunset Bowl....
I gotta mind
Over you it's not the first time........