Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new album!
06-16-2017, 10:26 AM,
The new album!
I'm sitting by the pool here in florida dodging the lightning with the thunder coming through my headphones! How the feck can they surpass BZCH? but they Have!  Sensational. Brilliant. She's Alright HAS to be the next single. Radio friendly, summer feel good, car radio, blutooth speakers in the park, worldwide radio airplay, H.I.T!! Floating down the best "BALLAD" in many a year with a touch of bowies "sorrow" about it. The rest is heads down, no nonsense, mindless BOOGIE!!!. Special mention to Tom. His playing throughout is just too good. How the LOOK, I'M SWEARING! do they do it? Well done Mr. J Raymond. Excellent production. Can't wait for Manchester.
"Vambo Rool OK!"
06-16-2017, 12:29 PM,
RE: The new album!
My same 2 picks picks dexter!! Tip one back for me, Please........
Its All Right, Shes All Nite, Shes All Right With Me............ Tongue
06-16-2017, 02:21 PM,
Simply Incredible!!
06-16-2017, 05:58 PM,
Best CD since One On One
06-16-2017, 06:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-16-2017, 06:29 PM by AllStrungOut.)
I just listened to the CD all the way through.   I am close to stunned..  This is an absolute amazing record!   Seriously.    If this isn't heard by anyone other than us die-hards, it's a damn freaking shame.

I'm starting to think I'm in an alternate universe..  Donald Trump is president.  Bill Cosby is on trial for rape. Dennis Rodman is an emissary for the USA and North Korea. And Cheap Trick just put out the damn best record I've heard in years!!!!
06-16-2017, 06:27 PM,
What an album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin
06-16-2017, 06:42 PM,
The nod to 'I Can't Take It' in 'Floating Down' is my fav part of the CD!
06-16-2017, 06:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-16-2017, 06:55 PM by cubbies01.)
I am blown the f away.  Amazed.  The pace and energy are opposite to anything we could expect.  There is zero debating if it is the hardest rocking Cheap Trick album when you look at the 10 core tracks.  Hell, I bet the 10 track album is 35 minutes. The 13 track and true album make it better. The three bonus tracks are musts.  

BTW, not sure if it is because of hearing Lolita for 20th time or because of hearing it in flow of album, but I figured it out.  It is the sequel to Daddy Should Have Stayed in High School. I view it as a song his son would sing 40 years later at same school.

Favorites in order:

Radio Lover (this feels like vintage 1981 one on one stuff)
Floating Down
She's Alright
Like a Fly 
The Rest of My Life
Blackberry Way
Nowhere
Long Time Coming
If You Still Want My Love
Lolita
You Got it Going On
Listen To Me
Brand New Name on an old Tattoo
06-16-2017, 07:12 PM,
My 5 favs (in order)

Floating Down
Lolita
You Got it Going On
Nowhere
Long Time Coming
06-16-2017, 10:18 PM,
Months before the release of BZCH there were industry rumors that we were going to be treated to a duets album. I'm so thankful to Scott Borchetta and Big Machine for resisting and bringing out these two back to back treasures. Like you, I 'm thankful to the band for continuing to create, record and innovate. The best album close in memory: "The Rest of My Life", "Blackberry Way", "Like a Fly", "If You Still Want My Love". "Radio Lover" is vastly improved, it's become album worthy. "Brand New Name" is one of my favorite CT hard rockers in years. I'm really happy to finally have a proper studio version of "She's Alright", although I'm jolted by the up front "oohs". I like "Nowhere" better than "Sick Man of Europe". "Lolita" gets better with repetition as I think the rest of the album will too. What an amazing gift.
06-17-2017, 07:07 AM,
I can't believe how good Floating down is
Maybe top 5 CT song ever
06-17-2017, 09:51 AM,
I love this record from start to finish, including the extra tracks on the Deluxe version. I love the fast pace and how it comes shooting out of the gate with four quick tempo songs. The recording of it is pretty consistent with Raymond's other work with the band but the rockers are punched up a notch. It sounds great, overall.

As for the songs, it's hard for me to put an order. I love all the hard songs but Floating Down and If You Still Want My Love sound amazingly melodic and Beatlesque in the same way that The Sun Never Sets was on BZCH. Lolita has taken some criticism as being cheesy but I love the groove of it and it's a fine example of how CT can introduce new sounds into their mix without deviating too far from what they do best. I really like it a lot.

Of the heavier stuff, I LOVE Brand New Name On An Old Tattoo. Radio Lover is amped up from its original incarnation in the same way that Heart On the Line was. My only quibble is I think they should have moved Floating Down further up in the set, maybe right before Lolita, to break up the run of mid-tempo songs on the last third of the disc. It would also showcase it a little more as the centerpiece of the record.

I'm not sure where it ranks overall in the grand scheme of their records yet. It is truly their best record in many years. I hope it gets the attention it deserves. So far Big Machine has been heavy in promoting it through social media so hopefully that pays off.

My world is in a spin
You wanna come on in?
06-17-2017, 10:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-17-2017, 10:39 AM by curiouser.)
The album is just 'alright'. I don't think it has quite the shelf-life as BZCH (which quickly fell off my player's rotation). The album lacks many of the power pop hooks that made their classic albums great. There are some keepers: I like 'Like a Fly', 'Floating Down', and 'Blackberry Way' (despite that it isn't even THEIR song). But I can't help think the band is scraping the bottom of the barrel when they have to resuscitate old songs that apparently weren't good enough for subsequent albums (but were 'good enough' for this one). Let's parse the most egregious offenders:

'Lolita'- late 80's era, Lap of Luxury or even Busted. The 'ooooh' in the chorus distressing sounds like it was inspired by Michael Jackson or some other R&B do-wop.
'She's Alright'- dumpy, boring Tom Petty.
'Brand New Name on an Old Tattoo'- stink of 'Woke Up with a Monster' or Steel Panther.

And the lousy lyrics really detract from the otherwise good songs. But hey, at least the album is better than 2003's half-baked 'Special One'.
And with all the loves and hates and passions just like mine...
06-17-2017, 10:36 AM,
Their best album since... 'Bang, Zoom, Crazy, Hello'.
And with all the loves and hates and passions just like mine...
06-17-2017, 10:49 AM,
(06-17-2017, 10:33 AM)curiouser Wrote: The album is just 'alright'. I don't think it has quite the shelf-life as BZCH (which quickly fell off my player's rotation). The album lacks many of the power pop hooks that made their classic albums great. There are some keepers: I like 'Like a Fly', 'Floating Down', and 'Blackberry Way' (despite that it isn't even THEIR song). But I can't help think the band is scraping the bottom of the barrel when they have to resuscitate old songs that apparently weren't good enough for subsequent albums (but were 'good enough' for this one). Let's parse the most egregious offenders:

'Lolita'- late 80's era, Lap of Luxury or even Busted. The 'ooooh' in the chorus distressing sounds like it was inspired by Michael Jackson or some other R&B do-wop.
'She's Alright'- dumpy, boring Tom Petty.
'Brand New Name on an Old Tattoo'- stink of 'Woke Up with a Monster' or Steel Panther.

And the lousy lyrics really detract from the otherwise good songs. But hey, at least the album is better than 2003's half-baked 'Special One'.

Seriously dude?   Are you bipolar?   Just yesterday you were raving in another thread.     You need to up your meds...

Is there a way to block certain poster's posts?