Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new album!
06-17-2017, 11:15 AM,
RE: The new album!
(06-17-2017, 10:49 AM)AllStrungOut Wrote:
(06-17-2017, 10:33 AM)curiouser Wrote: The album is just 'alright'. I don't think it has quite the shelf-life as BZCH (which quickly fell off my player's rotation). The album lacks many of the power pop hooks that made their classic albums great. There are some keepers: I like 'Like a Fly', 'Floating Down', and 'Blackberry Way' (despite that it isn't even THEIR song). But I can't help think the band is scraping the bottom of the barrel when they have to resuscitate old songs that apparently weren't good enough for subsequent albums (but were 'good enough' for this one). Let's parse the most egregious offenders:

'Lolita'- late 80's era, Lap of Luxury or even Busted. The 'ooooh' in the chorus distressing sounds like it was inspired by Michael Jackson or some other R&B do-wop.
'She's Alright'- dumpy, boring Tom Petty.
'Brand New Name on an Old Tattoo'- stink of 'Woke Up with a Monster' or Steel Panther.

And the lousy lyrics really detract from the otherwise good songs. But hey, at least the album is better than 2003's half-baked 'Special One'.

Seriously dude?   Are you bipolar?   Just yesterday you were raving in another thread.     You need to up your meds...

Is there a way to block certain poster's posts?

Funny.   Big Grin
06-17-2017, 11:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-17-2017, 12:21 PM by FredZeppelin.)
You Got It Going On Big Grin
Long Time Coming Big Grin (I'd like it better if they would have repeated the second phrase of the first verse on the second verse, though)
Nowhere  Huh
Radio Lover  Confused
Lolita  Big Grin  Heart  Big Grin   Heart
Brand New Name On An Old Tattoo  Smile (It's got the same stink of Steel Panther as She's Tight)
Floating Down  Dodgy
She's Alright  Smile +
Listen To Me  Big Grin  Big Grin
The Rest Of My Life  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin  Exclamation
Blackberry Way  Undecided  
Like A Fly  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin  Exclamation  Exclamation  Exclamation
If You Still Want My Love Smile ?
06-17-2017, 12:13 PM,
Need to give it a few more listens but I think this is a very solid record. It didn't give me the initial "wow" of CT97 which I think was the last truly great record that captured the essence of CT. However, there are definitely some standouts like Floating Down, Like a Fly, Rest of My Life and If you still want my Love. The 3 bonus tracks on the deluxe version are three of the best on the whole record and should have been included. She's Alright is one song that falls flat for me. My one complaint is that some of the songs are musically VERY similar to other CT songs. The break down at 2.17 in Floating Down for instance is exactly the same as the one in I Can't Take it! It's even in the same key! There are several other instances of this as well that I've noticed. I'm sure only hard core fans like us would ever notice these nuances and I'd guess any band with such longevity/original members would likely have the same sort of things going on. All in all it still rocks!
06-17-2017, 01:08 PM,
I stand by my original thought that "she's alright" needs to be a single. It'll get airplay anywhere if it's properly plugged to radio stations. I'm thinking predominantly here in the UK. It'll attract attention and interest not only in the band (a brand new band from USA as Rick said at download festival a few years back. Hilarious) but also the new album.
"Vambo Rool OK!"
06-17-2017, 07:11 PM,
Sad  RE: The new album!
Did not get my cd yesterday or today Sad Anyone else? Angry
"You're Takin' Me Back"
06-17-2017, 08:07 PM,
(06-17-2017, 10:33 AM)curiouser Wrote: And the lousy lyrics really detract from the otherwise good songs. But hey, at least the album is better than 2003's half-baked 'Special One'.

Hey man, you know better! Some things are enjoyed fully BAKED!
Lofty Thoughts High Ideals Lofty Skirts Is What Appeals
06-17-2017, 09:29 PM,
(06-16-2017, 10:26 AM)dextershrill Wrote: Sensational. Brilliant. She's Alright HAS to be the next single. Radio friendly, summer feel good, car radio, blutooth speakers in the park, worldwide radio airplay, H.I.T!! Floating down the best "BALLAD" in many a year with a touch of bowies "sorrow" about it. 
Ditto!
Lofty Thoughts High Ideals Lofty Skirts Is What Appeals
06-18-2017, 01:35 AM,
At this moment, #30 on Amazon overall best seller list; #2 on classic rock list (Sgt. Pepper remix is #1)
06-18-2017, 08:12 AM,
I wonder if the standard 10 track cd will become a collectors item because everybody buys the deluxe edition.
06-18-2017, 10:11 AM,
(06-17-2017, 07:07 AM)DaveGT Wrote: I can't believe how good Floating down is
Maybe top 5 CT song ever

Its absolutely magnificent,one of the greatest songs I've ever heard by anyone,anywhere.   Tongue
06-18-2017, 10:35 AM,
I can't say enough how much I like this record. It's interesting how we can all like the same band and still disagree on so much about what we like the most. But WAA is in my wheelhouse of what the perfect Cheap Trick record is. Well crafted, hooky songs with a tongue in cheek sense of humor. Loud guitars on the songs that deserve it most and subtle hooks and catchy melodies throughout. Robin is absolutely on fire on this record and Daxx's drumming is outstanding. Rick's guitar playing on the last couple of records has really stood out (he actually shreds on some songs, in his own style), but he is so good at writing riffs and guitar hooks. And Tom is always great. So happy to hear these guys rock again.

My world is in a spin
You wanna come on in?
06-18-2017, 04:05 PM,
(06-18-2017, 10:11 AM)Darran Wrote:
(06-17-2017, 07:07 AM)DaveGT Wrote: I can't believe how good Floating down is
Maybe top 5 CT song ever

Its absolutely magnificent,one of the greatest songs I've ever heard by anyone,anywhere.   Tongue

This
A shame it came out in 2017 when the band is off radio radar.
It could have been a classic if it came out 70/80's
06-18-2017, 07:18 PM,
The first 4 tracks left blisters on my fingers, and I don't even play guitar! Excellent album! Thank you Cheap Trick, and for finally making 'Radio Lover' an official release!
I wasn't born for lovin'
I was born to raise hell
06-18-2017, 08:49 PM,
https://mobile.twitter.com/cheaptrick/st...4550096897

Wow!!!!
06-19-2017, 01:24 AM,
First of all, feck the grammys. Secondly, I hope they finally get a Grammy for this one