Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We're all alright cover artwork.
06-21-2017, 10:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-21-2017, 10:16 AM by 12stringbassist.)
We're all alright cover artwork.
What does everyone else think of this cover artwoirk?

I note that they use a whole bunch old live photos and take every possible opportunity to crop Bun E out of any photo. His drum kit is often there, but he's not. The cropping out of his image from the 'Meet Cheap Trick' promo pic is the Cheapest Trick on this package. Very pointedly done. Shoddy work, guys. They just shouldn't have used the old photos.

Fair enough, he's not in the band anymore, so I never expected him to be on the sleeve anywhere, or thanked in the liner notes or anything.
06-21-2017, 10:28 AM,
RE: We're all alright cover artwork.
I can't lie I don't really give a shít about it.  It's what's inside that matters.  Tongue
06-21-2017, 10:53 AM,
(06-21-2017, 10:28 AM)Darran Wrote: I can't lie I don't really give a shít about it.  It's what's inside that matters.  Tongue

I like the cover and understand why Bun is left out since he's not on the album. The problem I see after the fact is that people at two record stores I've been to haven't bothered to open a copy and listen to it because they both thought it was a live album. So as far as Bun being cropped out too bad I guess. If I were Tom or Daxx I'd wonder where my pictures are. Including the gatefold I see 3 of John Candis and only 4 of Daxx I think (pretty sure the kid on the drums is him). And light on Tom pics on the front.
06-21-2017, 10:55 AM,
Quite true, it's what's inside that matters.
The music is fine, but all the old photos do not point to the current band very well.
06-21-2017, 10:05 PM,
(06-21-2017, 10:16 AM)12stringbassist Wrote: What does everyone else think of this cover artwoirk?

I note that they use a whole bunch old live photos and take every possible opportunity to crop Bun E out of any photo. His drum kit is often there, but he's not. The cropping out of his image from the 'Meet Cheap Trick' promo pic is the Cheapest Trick on this package. Very pointedly done.

The live shots, no biggie he's not in them. He's not on the album, so it makes sense. The other photo you mentioned, certainly not discreet and may be a little too noticeable on that one for my taste. 

Photos so small on the cd, I'm glad I had a better view with the downloadable artwork.

Fun to see old with new. Yes, makes it confusing as to current band. Somewhere- front, back, gatefold, liner notes- a current band photo would have been nice, not just the collage. 

Sepia tones, a good choice.

I can see where the artwork may be misleading to think of it as a live album. The title and artwork would be perfect for that.

Is everyone's cd a digipak? I hate how once the plastic wrap is off, the cd can just slide right out  Angry

I just LOVE being a Cheap Trick fan!
06-22-2017, 12:10 AM,
Geez ... Bun E is not on the CD. Why would he be pictured?
06-22-2017, 06:06 AM,
Good lord. Of course Bun E is not on the cover!!

I like the art work, mixing old with new. Never thought about some perhaps thinking it is live album though, I can totally see this.
06-22-2017, 08:41 AM,
It's a far better cover than BZCH.
"Vambo Rool OK!"
07-12-2017, 11:03 PM,
(06-22-2017, 08:41 AM)dextershrill Wrote: It's a far better cover than BZCH.

Looks like Exile On Mainstreet to me.
07-17-2017, 08:56 AM,
The artwork would have been a good choice for a live/compilation album. But then again, artwork has never been CT's strongest side, although I think both Rockford and The Latest were pretty cool.
07-17-2017, 10:28 AM,
I don't really care too much about the artwork and do agree its what's inside that matters. However, the Cheap Trick name and logo are a brand. As far as pictures go, the general public (outside of hardcore fans) would likely only recognize the classic lineup and certainly only the classic top 3-5 songs. For this reason I think the artwork and new merchandise is a mis-step. It should be the classic logo only and any accompanying new artwork. (ie artwork that is not pics of the band) Take a look at Foreigners merch page. http://store.foreigneronline.com/store/ Not one photo of anyone in the band on any of their shirts. Several of their album covers have pictured photos of the band but as we all know they've changed members too and are basically a cover band at this point. But they're smart enough to know the the casual fan that pays and attends a concert is generally only interested in the old classic songs and the brand that is Foreigner or Cheap Trick. Most people couldn't even name one member of either band much less any newer members but they all know the NAME of the band. That's what sells. That's what people are there for. Simple as that. In that regard, CT97 was the last great record/artwork combo IMO. (Rockford is perhaps an exception with caricature cover & songs)
07-17-2017, 04:03 PM,
It's okay. Not a lot of thought went into it, but that doesn't really matter, I guess. The bottom line is that it is nowhere as bad as 'Woke Up With a Monster' (YUCK).
And with all the loves and hates and passions just like mine...
07-17-2017, 05:19 PM,
I do agree that the album cover evokes the feeling that the album is a live recording. It has a bit of a nostalgic quality, which is not bad necessarily. I don't know how crucial that the album cover is in terms of sales, but do believe that it can definitely affect purchases. I do like the ones that are a little more creative and imaginative. I would love to be part of the process of assisting with the cover design.
07-21-2017, 04:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-21-2017, 04:23 PM by 12stringbassist.)
Going back to my original post, I personally never actually suggested that the number of live photos in any way suggested a live album - I never even thought of that.

My point was that certain photos cropped Bun E out rather pointedly, which I thought was a bit clumsy and it all could have been done better. All those tiny photos on the CD cover... not great.

I never thought for an ainstant that Bun E would be on the sleeve, but the way he has been chopped out was either a bit lazy on the part of the people who did the cover, or as I said, done rather pointedly.

I think a decent clear shot of the whole band taken recently would have been a lot better.