Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CHEAP TRICK SUMMER TOUR WITH DEF LEPPARD & POISON
02-26-2009, 12:15 PM,

Any chance of more Meet & Greets this time around? That would certainly get me to Atlanta Big Grin
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The first thing I did when I got to Japan, was buy a Japanese guitar."
02-26-2009, 12:28 PM,

I'm just curious-does the fact that for the second year in a row, I believe CT is sharing the stage with groups that should be shining Robin's shoes and having to pay for these groups will always be 25 cents too much, regardless of what they charge, just mean I'm a fuddy-dud who needs to realize that Poison and DL have actually made meaningful contributions to the world of rock and are worth paying for OR am I sane in thinking I should be spending my last-hard-earned-dollars-before-my-layoff date on CT only, accept no substitutes??

I mean, I wake up this morning to the fact Chris Isaak turned one hit into his own tv show and now this triple bill and want to shout 'I'm mad as he|| and just can't take it anymore!!!!!"
02-26-2009, 12:59 PM,

Yeah, can't say I'm surprised or excited. What you gonna do? It's a business and from the sound of it opening on a big tour with DL probably pays better then playing alone?

It's too bad though, I use to enjoy the small venue summer shows with just CT. Guess I won't be seeing them this year either!
"Sam throws a party, I am the party." --DLR
02-26-2009, 01:24 PM,

Think about it this way though... if all a person wants to see is Cheap Trick, then they can leave right after that and still have an early night! Smile

(I saw The Pretenders last week at First Ave in Minneapolis. It's been a while since I saw any band in a small club setting like that and I guess I forgot how late those shows can go. Chrissie and the boys didn't even take the stage until 10:40 PM. I was really tired by the time the show was over and I still had to drive home!)
Debbie Lowe
"Thought no one could hear me, I was goin' insane...!"
"Dance, dance, dance across the floor, a lust for life I've never seen before"
02-26-2009, 01:37 PM,

Yeah! Glad to see there's a little Cheap Trick in my future. Darien Lake for me. Not my fav venue, but what can ya do?

I'll reiterate what so many others have said in all the tour related threads...little bummed at the triple bill deal again this summer though. YUK to the huge venues, tix prices and the half empty house CT will be playing to.

*fingers crossed* for some meet and greets.

I just LOVE being a Cheap Trick fan!
02-26-2009, 01:42 PM,

pjvan - LOVE your avatar. Smile

If it has to be one or the other (DL v. Journey), I'd rather see CT opening for DL.

I'm sure I'll end up at some of these shows. This announcement seals the deal for me and that AZ Biker Fest. LOL I'd like to see a full set before we get the shortened version. :laugh: And who knows? Maybe I can get Zach to a show and we'll stay for *all* of CT's set?!!?!? :Wink:
I've got a kaleidoscope of memories...

"I prefer to listen to Cheap Trick."
-Homer J. Simpson
02-26-2009, 01:46 PM,

All I can say is I guess there's one good thing about being poor as dirt. Another year I will miss them. I agree with many who have posted before me that this is definitely good for Cheap Trick. Just not what I can either afford nor how I want to see them. I'm also hoping for a Sgt Pepper gig or maybe a smaller venue where they would headline. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm happy for the guys.
All I want is a place in your heart to fall into
02-26-2009, 01:52 PM,

Anyone that knows the Darien Lake area know if there are accomodations nearby.....the venue itself has camping, hotel, and rv....but they make you book at least 2 nights at crazy prices
02-26-2009, 02:11 PM,

Yeah, I'm sure this will be a good time for the band. And they've definately earned the right to do whatever they want. But I'm not interested.

Whatever they are going to charge will be too much to go see CT play "I Want You to Want Me," "Surrender," "The Flame," "That 70's Song," "Dream Police," and two or three other songs at 6:00 p.m. while it's still light out.

I'll just hold out for the next real Cheap Trick show, hopefuly in the fall sometime.
02-26-2009, 02:13 PM,

40 minutes of Cheap Trick
$100 ticket

I hope it's good business for the band. If a new release is still planned for 2009, it's pretty doubtful that any of the new music will be heard at these mini-shows.

I'll take a pass and hope for something better in the Fall.
It's not the same anymore, let's face it we've changed...
02-26-2009, 02:19 PM,

No sign of UK shows.
Thank God for Quo.
02-26-2009, 02:33 PM,

Supporting a band like Def Leppard I can understand.... but Poison??? Are Poison a bigger band than Cheap Trick in the States? In the UK they'd struggle to fill my garage.
02-26-2009, 02:46 PM,

Everyone loves to say "good for the band" but that's faulty logic. Yes, I'm always happy for the band to be prosperous...they've earned it and it certainly contributes to them staying together and carrying on which is what I want most from them. But what are the limits of "good for them?" Does the amount of money alone dictate that? This is Cheap Trick, playing BELOW Poison! I'm ashamed of that for them. "Special Guest" is glorified "third bill." Everyone knows that. Would it be "good for the band" to open for Jessica Simpson?

Again, it's bound to happen someday. The band is possibly opting for the largest payouts they can get in their remaining years as a touring band. Understandable from a business perspective. But from a creative and legacy perspective, it's hard to swallow. These guys should be playing their own shows and getting hot indie acts to open up for them! The young bands would do it. They are really verging on the edge of any relevance at this point: Journey, Heart, Poison? Do any of you honestly believe that's a viable path to staying relevant and not being a dinosaur joke? Does it means something that a sizeable portion of the board fans are happy to pay $100 and leave early to beat traffic and get to bed? Rock on!

I hope the money's good. I hope the fans enjoy their umpteenth play-by-numbers set of IWYTWM, Surrender, etc. Honestly.
02-26-2009, 02:52 PM,

Lisa J Wrote:pjvan - LOVE your avatar. Smile

If it has to be one or the other (DL v. Journey), I'd rather see CT opening for DL.

I'm sure I'll end up at some of these shows. This announcement seals the deal for me and that AZ Biker Fest. LOL I'd like to see a full set before we get the shortened version. :laugh: And who knows? Maybe I can get Zach to a show and we'll stay for *all* of CT's set?!!?!? :Wink:
Thanks Lisa! Gotta love you some Mojo Jojo!

Yeah Mike, Poison was really big in the late '80s and about 1990, they were the biggest band around in my Junior High Years...luckily Nirvana broke and Poison went away!

Poison has enjoyed a little come back the past few years, play larger venues again, Bret's on TV all the time with his VH1 shows, that kind of stuff...
"Sam throws a party, I am the party." --DLR
02-26-2009, 02:56 PM,

Also bothered me that Cheap Trick is relegated to a 2 sentence paragraph at the end of the press release. Sad
All I want is a place in your heart to fall into