Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CHEAP TRICK SUMMER TOUR WITH DEF LEPPARD & POISON
02-26-2009, 03:17 PM,

One things for sure Tinted Windows won't be doing many dates this summer. Big Grin
02-26-2009, 03:27 PM,

Darran Wrote:Thats the UK f*cked then. :laugh:
Though the two dates in Texas in August have got me finking. Big Grin
an there was me thinkin id get my first cheap trick gig this summer Sad Sad Sad ....... an no theres not a hope in hell of me makin it over to the good old USA Sad
02-26-2009, 03:32 PM,

Mike Hayes Wrote:Supporting a band like Def Leppard I can understand.... but Poison??? Are Poison a bigger band than Cheap Trick in the States? In the UK they'd struggle to fill my garage.
I never knew Poison to be that big here either. I seem to remember them always booked with other/bigger bands.

The line up is once again surprising, to put it mildy.

I just LOVE being a Cheap Trick fan!
02-26-2009, 03:43 PM,

I plan on going to the Darien Lake show,too. Glad to see it on the schedule as they didn't make it there last year. Hopefully, there will be a Meet & Greet like there was there for Aerosmith(which I did not get into Sad ) So, Andrea & ctkiwi, and hopefully Voices 1979- maybe we can all meet each other finally!
If I never loved, I never would have cried.
02-26-2009, 03:48 PM,

Sounds smashing.... I'll bring the beverages. LOL.
~
Ive got a feeling
Im going to get a lot of grief
Once this seemed so appealing
Now I am beyond belief
02-26-2009, 04:06 PM,

HappyMike Wrote:Everyone loves to say "good for the band" but that's faulty logic. Yes, I'm always happy for the band to be prosperous...they've earned it and it certainly contributes to them staying together and carrying on which is what I want most from them. But what are the limits of "good for them?" Does the amount of money alone dictate that? This is Cheap Trick, playing BELOW Poison! I'm ashamed of that for them. "Special Guest" is glorified "third bill." Everyone knows that. Would it be "good for the band" to open for Jessica Simpson?

Again, it's bound to happen someday. The band is possibly opting for the largest payouts they can get in their remaining years as a touring band. Understandable from a business perspective. But from a creative and legacy perspective, it's hard to swallow. These guys should be playing their own shows and getting hot indie acts to open up for them! The young bands would do it. They are really verging on the edge of any relevance at this point: Journey, Heart, Poison? Do any of you honestly believe that's a viable path to staying relevant and not being a dinosaur joke? Does it means something that a sizeable portion of the board fans are happy to pay $100 and leave early to beat traffic and get to bed? Rock on!

I hope the money's good. I hope the fans enjoy their umpteenth play-by-numbers set of IWYTWM, Surrender, etc. Honestly.
Firstly, reality check - Cheap Trick haven't been relevant since 1979. Secondly, there's a bit more to being happy on a tour besides the money. They happen to like the DL guys a lot. Everyone gets along, crews and production people included. Thirdly, there's the matter of logistics. There are some band members who - shock - would rather be in a position to do a show and with a few days off, fly home to be with their families. Yeah, rock on - and everyone go to bed. Again, this isn't 1979. The days of staying up all night are done. Been there. If Robin is up at 5 a.m. it's to catch a 6 a.m. flight home on a day off to be with his wife and kids.

There are a lot of things they take into account before they signed on the dotted line.
02-26-2009, 04:24 PM,

Teri Wrote:
HappyMike Wrote:Everyone loves to say "good for the band" but that's faulty logic. Yes, I'm always happy for the band to be prosperous...they've earned it and it certainly contributes to them staying together and carrying on which is what I want most from them. But what are the limits of "good for them?" Does the amount of money alone dictate that? This is Cheap Trick, playing BELOW Poison! I'm ashamed of that for them. "Special Guest" is glorified "third bill." Everyone knows that. Would it be "good for the band" to open for Jessica Simpson?

Again, it's bound to happen someday. The band is possibly opting for the largest payouts they can get in their remaining years as a touring band. Understandable from a business perspective. But from a creative and legacy perspective, it's hard to swallow. These guys should be playing their own shows and getting hot indie acts to open up for them! The young bands would do it. They are really verging on the edge of any relevance at this point: Journey, Heart, Poison? Do any of you honestly believe that's a viable path to staying relevant and not being a dinosaur joke? Does it means something that a sizeable portion of the board fans are happy to pay $100 and leave early to beat traffic and get to bed? Rock on!

I hope the money's good. I hope the fans enjoy their umpteenth play-by-numbers set of IWYTWM, Surrender, etc. Honestly.
Firstly, reality check - Cheap Trick haven't been relevant since 1979. Secondly, there's a bit more to being happy on a tour besides the money. They happen to like the DL guys a lot. Everyone gets along, crews and production people included. Thirdly, there's the matter of logistics. There are some band members who - shock - would rather be in a position to do a show and with a few days off, fly home to be with their families. Yeah, rock on - and everyone go to bed. Again, this isn't 1979. The days of staying up all night are done. Been there. If Robin is up at 5 a.m. it's to catch a 6 a.m. flight home on a day off to be with his wife and kids.

There are a lot of things they take into account before they signed on the dotted line.
This thread is what the words 'Déjà vu' were invented for. Big Grin
02-26-2009, 04:27 PM,

I saw Cheap Trick with Journey last summer (Heart wasn't on the bill here in Nashville, as they had their own separate show here later that month.) and it was the best Cheap Trick show I'd seen in years, probably since the turn of the century. I've always wanted to say that. Since Heart wasn't on the bill they got to play an hour instead of 45 minutes. Anyway, I'm glad all those Journey fans got to experience how amazing CT was that night. Def Leppard has had a huge career here in the U.S. and Poison has several platinum albums and quite a few hits here as well, more actual hits than CT, truth be known, though I don't think Poison ever had a #1 like CT did with The Flame. As someone mentioned, that Rock Of Love show on VH1 does keep Poison's name out there and gets people talking. Cheap Trick is an exceptional band with a great legacy (who I think still has relevance). Their playing on these big tour packages makes them more relevant and not less, but that's just my opinion and may not be shared by everybody. We all want them to play longer shows and whatnot, but even when it's their own show they still play about 75 minutes.
02-26-2009, 04:48 PM,

I'm torn on attending this or not as it appears this may be the only trick show in 09' here in KC. (and they didn't play here in 08') I guess it will depend on ticket prices. I had little interest in seeing Heart or Journey on the last triple bill and even less interest in Poison (ugh) and DL.

Now I really hope the Vegas thing happens. If tix for the above show are $125 or more, I'd rather use that money and fly to Vegas to see a full show and spend a night there. With all the tourist offers, you can get to Vegas pretty cheaply and they're almost giving the rooms away.

To be continued.......
02-26-2009, 04:50 PM,

lainey Wrote:So, Andrea & ctkiwi, and hopefully Voices 1979- maybe we can all meet each other finally!
We shall see! Depends on how much convincing I hafta do and if I come out successful. :laugh:
"We think we understand a song's lyrics, but what makes us believe in them, or not, is the music." The Angel's Game, Carlos Ruiz Zafon
"Music has always been my passport to a better place." - Tom Petty
02-26-2009, 05:00 PM,

o.k. enough with the kissing ass. poison is a girl band always have been always will. no guy in their right mind would admit to liking poison, if you did you are sad(quote-ross halfin) and he's right. def lep used to be a hard edged band now they are not. people as a hole don't know something good if it hit them in the grill. entertainment is fine (kiss) but what about good quality music? i think that some people would rather see a bomb go off than a good tune.
long live cheap trick
02-26-2009, 05:28 PM,

"I love you honey but I hate your ..." venue (Tinley Park).
"Beautiful thoughts of all kinds crystallize into habits of grace and kindliness, which solidify into genial and sunny circumstances."
02-26-2009, 05:35 PM,

There's nothing like an official tour announcement to get this messageboard alive again, lol! :p

Deja vu is right!
All I want is a place in your heart to fall into
02-26-2009, 05:39 PM,

I will be at the Albuquerque show in August 2009! YEAH!
02-26-2009, 05:47 PM,

Well, nipsy, in spite of some strange wording, I agree 100% with your point.
To add absolutely nothing to this thread, I have to say at least Journey and Heart actually gained fans through the radio. I may not have liked them so much during their "prime" years of the 80's, but they didn't need MTV to garner a following(though Nancy Wilson being a golden goddess made some of their top 40 pop stuff easier to sit through).

Meanwhile, I feel Poison, Def Leppard and even Bon Jovi, beg us to ask the age old chicken-or-the-egg question - Were the videos what put these guys on radio or was radio play the reason MTV played them non-stop? So all this talk about platinum albums and how "big" they were makes me mad in that I do not think these bands would have had the success they did without the visual assistance.

Bottom line, we can talk about what is good for the band or bad for the band all day. The fact is CT manufactured good music, the guys headlining this tour are there because of something other than their music. Sorry, I can't explain it but this billing irks me.

Of course, someone who grew up hearing "Photograph" or "Every Rose has it's thorn" before "Surrender" may look at this at an angle 180 degrees away from mine.