Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Reckon It's a Winner , any other thoughts ?? - short song preview available on Amazon
06-07-2009, 09:22 AM,

Hey, I have nothing against people offering their opinions ... honestly! Its just that some people are just down right RUDE and CRUEL. Nothing constructive at all icon_scratch.gif

Maybe I'm just too sensitive and don't like seeing the guys being crapped on when they have probably put their heart and soul into making this record. You know ... my heart sank when I starting reading some of these negative comments Sad

Ok, I'm leaving it for awhile now Smile
debj1111@bigpond.com

~ * Deborah * ~ ... SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA!!!

** ABSOLUTELY ** CRAZY FOR ROBIN!!!!

CHEAP TRICK!! IT'S TIME FOR A HEADLINING TOUR OF AUSTRALIA!!
06-07-2009, 09:44 AM,

I am a 30 year+ fan and have been on the various CT messageboards and blogs for 15 years or so. I am looking forward to the new record and really don't give a damn what other peoples opinions are. A few individuals on this board ARE negative most of the time...I cant imagine how f'd up their lives are if they get this pissed over their 'favorite' band. Sharing an opinion once is cool-but to continue to post the same scathing stuff over and over....and over is bull####.
We get your point...and as far as I can tell, you haven't even heard 15 minutes of a 40+ minute record.
06-07-2009, 09:52 AM,

Thanks to Steve for the link, it was a nice surprise!

insomniac186 Wrote:I'm sick of all the "Negative Nancy's" on this board. You have to remember that the guys are in their 60's now, so you guys should act more grateful and be thankful that they are still putting out albums and touring, and more frequently so than their counterparts like AC/DC. A new album from CT is a blessing. They should be retired and enjoying the fruits of their labor. They DON'T HAVE TO put out a new album! They do it because they want to. And besides, you can't expect them to put out an album of hard-rocking up-tempo songs because they aren't exactly spring chickens anymore. They've mellowed out a little, whether you like it or not. I think they write ballads really well, I'll take any new ballad over "The Flame" any day.

I'm done ranting...
I don't understand why it is that anytime someone is displeased with CT's performance of any kind, their age seems to get mentioned? insomniac186, please don't think I'm picking on you. I understand you love this band and feel as if you're helping them by saying this with no disrespect, however, it does sound to me, like you're trying to give a reason for them just being who they are. Yes, they're in, and near 60, but I don't think age has anything to do with it. I think the better way of saying it, perhaps, is that they are at a stage in their career, where they CHOOSE to.... and CAN, explore other styles of music that appeal to them. I, personally, love and appreciate the fruits of their labor from their wide range of musical talents and tastes. These guys rock out when they want, or have to. I've seen it as recent as in these past few weeks, and I'm sure many others have as well. They just don't NEED to because that's what they think some of us expect of them.... however, I must admit, it is a real turn on when they do. :glare: drunken_smilie1.gif

As far as whether it's a winner or not...I'll hold off on my opinion when I receive it, and no sooner. Smile

Blacknwhiteforever Wrote:Well Sick Man is Awsome and as we know, it is not the standard for the whole album. Over the years I have learned to love them for the immense talent, and consider them four of the greatest Rockers to ever grave vinyl. And yes I will be buying it and I'm sure I will listen to it and so wow, these guys are the best, even though it might not be my personal first taste. After all people this is Cheap Trick definitly the greatest four guys we alll LOVE.

Imo, b&wforever hit the nail right on the head!
06-07-2009, 10:04 AM,

ahhhh choooooooo
06-07-2009, 10:09 AM,

kevintonight Wrote:ahhhh choooooooo
Bless you!!! Big Grin
debj1111@bigpond.com

~ * Deborah * ~ ... SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA!!!

** ABSOLUTELY ** CRAZY FOR ROBIN!!!!

CHEAP TRICK!! IT'S TIME FOR A HEADLINING TOUR OF AUSTRALIA!!
06-07-2009, 10:12 AM,

I think this album is a winner. What I love about Cheap Trick is how every album they release sounds different from the last one. Sure this one's got lots of slow melodic songs, but it's got some of their hardest rockers too. And whoever said slow melodic songs were bad? Who could call these ballads? This IS power pop and this IS Cheap Trick.

"Times of Our Lives" sounds like a sequel to "All These Years". "Everyday You Make Me Crazy", man I love the pepsi theme they wrote being used for an actual song... BRILLIANT! "Miss Tomorrow" is the same song from Robin's solo b-sides, but this version is ROCKED UP! Love the powerful chorus.

"Miracle" is perhaps the most lennon-esque sounding song they've every recorded. Need to hear the whole thing, but I'd prefer my trick to not be so blatant.

Honestly to me this sound like a combination of Special One and Rockford. Can't wait! These guys never disappoint, seriously, just look at my avatar.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
06-07-2009, 10:16 AM,

Rick, Sweden Wrote:
CHEAP & TRICKY IN AUSTRALIA Wrote:
insomniac186 Wrote:I'm sick of all the "Negative Nancy's" on this board.
Yeah, they are out in force again :laugh:

Unfortunately I can see where this thread is leading to ... a biffo!!!! icon_aaargh.gif
Hey, let just people be honest. If You don't like it, say it. And vice versa. I'm glad CT fans in general are not like Kiss fans (which I am too), like sheep. Just because it's CT, and their new album it does not automatically mean it's "great".
In a way, why complain on the negative people? It makes
You a complainer too.
I have not heard the clips, so I have no opinion on the songs, but I would lose interest very quickly if I knew ALL comments about it would be just "great" "awesome" etc etc. I'm glad to read peoples opinions, good and bad, and when I get the full CD, I can make up my own mind, with all honest comments from here in mind. Thanks a lot, keep reviewing! Smile
well said rick. icon_thumright.gif
long live cheap trick
06-07-2009, 10:30 AM,

TheDoctorIsIn Wrote:I think this album is a winner. What I love about Cheap Trick is how every album they release sounds different from the last one. Sure this one's got lots of slow melodic songs, but it's got some of their hardest rockers too. And whoever said slow melodic songs were bad? Who could call these ballads? This IS power pop and this IS Cheap Trick.

"Times of Our Lives" sounds like a sequel to "All These Years". "Everyday You Make Me Crazy", man I love the pepsi theme they wrote being used for an actual song... BRILLIANT! "Miss Tomorrow" is the same song from Robin's solo b-sides, but this version is ROCKED UP! Love the powerful chorus.

"Miracle" is perhaps the most lennon-esque sounding song they've every recorded. Need to hear the whole thing, but I'd prefer my trick to not be so blatant.

Honestly to me this sound like a combination of Special One and Rockford. Can't wait! These guys never disappoint, seriously, just look at my avatar.

Well said. If you read the Billboard interview in it Rick states that musically there are a lot of different aspects to this album...so it sounds like there may be something on this album to suit everyone's taste.
06-07-2009, 10:36 AM,

janna Wrote:
TheDoctorIsIn Wrote:I think this album is a winner. What I love about Cheap Trick is how every album they release sounds different from the last one. Sure this one's got lots of slow melodic songs, but it's got some of their hardest rockers too. And whoever said slow melodic songs were bad? Who could call these ballads? This IS power pop and this IS Cheap Trick.

Well said. If you read the Billboard interview in it Rick states that musically there are a lot of different aspects to this album...so it sounds like there may be something on this album to suit everyone's taste.
I totally agree. :glare: icon_sunny.gif
06-07-2009, 10:45 AM,

Darran Wrote:
Mike Hayes Wrote:
cheapherk Wrote:Sleep Forever is strange for an opener. Would have made a nice closing song.
Beautiful song. Now I know what to have played at my funeral.... Not just yet though.
I'm having Goodnight. Big Grin

Good night now ladies and gentlemen
Good night now ladies and gents.
That's the end of the show, now it's time to go
Auffie. Big Grin
06-07-2009, 11:22 AM,

After listening to the samples several times I personally believe its going to be a great record. rockon.png.gif
06-07-2009, 11:24 AM,

vader Wrote:I hope this album gets good reviews in the press (which I have lingering doubts). The album lacks zip and wit of previous albums. Furthermore, this album doesn't sound like it was meant to be played live. And the ratio of rockers to ballads is something like 6/7. There are some good songs, here. But this really doesn't come across as a fun album.

I know I sound like a broken record, and Cheap Trick is my favorite band, but what I heard (even being 30-second samples) just totally blows the wind out of my sails. I waited forever for this and I told myself this is going to be a great album.

I am hugely disappointed. I'm holding out hope when I hear the album in its entirety, the songs will grow on me, perhaps. Perhaps all I had was a knee jerk reaction.

Cheap Trick had a good thing going with Rockford, and they dropped the ball.

Time to start drinking again.

See..I'm thinking the total opposite than you.... I'm thinking that because the album is so diverse that it will capture more peoples attention and gain better reviews.

Don't think the worst of it yet, instead wait till you can hear it in it's entirety. I really hope that you like it...I hope that you are blown away when you hear the complete album.
06-07-2009, 11:35 AM,

vader Wrote:I hope this album gets good reviews in the press (which I have lingering doubts). The album lacks zip and wit of previous albums. Furthermore, this album doesn't sound like it was meant to be played live. And the ratio of rockers to ballads is something like 6/7. There are some good songs, here. But this really doesn't come across as a fun album.

I know I sound like a broken record, and Cheap Trick is my favorite band, but what I heard (even being 30-second samples) just totally blows the wind out of my sails. I waited forever for this and I told myself this is going to be a great album.

I am hugely disappointed. I'm holding out hope when I hear the album in its entirety, the songs will grow on me, perhaps. Perhaps all I had was a knee jerk reaction.

Cheap Trick had a good thing going with Rockford, and they dropped the ball.

Time to start drinking again.
How do you know it lacks wit?? I mean come on man, get ahold of yourself here. These are 30 second sound bites..
If they arent playing what what they feel, then they are manufactuiring and pandering and that is when you get stuff like "Hey Rock and rollers...."

I don't want to want formula I want feeling. But hey, that is just me
06-07-2009, 11:46 AM,

vader Wrote:This is one of the only times that I hope I am wrong.

A lot of people think I'm ragging on Cheap Trick and as a result, they feel personally attacked.

I love Cheap Trick, they are my favorite band. I only want the best for them.

But what I heard really hit me hard. I had my mind made up that this was going to be a great power pop record. There was no doubt in my mind that the album would not live up to expectations.

When I heard the sound samples, I had to pinch myself. This could not be happening.

Once I get the cd, I'll try to listen to it with an open mind. It's just that I feel they really messed up a good thing. They got the momentum moving with Rockford. And now they brought that momentum to a dead halt.

But Cheap Trick, sadly, has been known to disappoint from time to time.
I can releate in a way. Just give it a chance. I know about expectations and such, but just wait and see what happens when you hear the cd as a whole. You might be surprised.
It still has a power pop gloss to it, even the slower stuff. When material issue did slower stuff or Redd Kross did slower stuff it did not make it any less power pop. Hang in there buddy
06-07-2009, 11:51 AM,

CT is my 2nd-favorite band, after Queen, so I am thrilled to hear the previews of the new tunes. But I must say that I'm shocked to read the negative comments here from suppossed longtime fans. To me, these new songs sound exactly like what I'd expect to hear from CT; NOBODY does powerpop better. We all need to realize how lucky we are to have a 30+-year-old band (with its original members) that still releases new material of this quality. Look at what has happened to Queen since Freddie passed. Nothing against Paul Rodgers; he has an awesome voice. But, imo, the band sounds different, much too bluesy for my taste. I love the blues, but its portion of Queen's overall blend was much lower w/Freddie. Check out the Queen boards if you want to read the complaints of MANY "fans" regarding this issue. We need to be thankful for what we have. (Btw, lately I've been hearing this: CT = AC/DC + sugar; does this make sense to anyone?)