Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Reckon It's a Winner , any other thoughts ?? - short song preview available on Amazon
06-07-2009, 12:06 PM,

I'll give it a chance when I hear the whole thing, but I'm definitely a little disappointed at the surplus of ballads/slow stuff on here.
Tom Petersson: Donkey Baseball, Beak Grinder, Pop Tarts.
06-07-2009, 12:45 PM,

sounds great and i can't wait. some moving songs in this cd. icon_thumright.gif
long live cheap trick
06-07-2009, 01:55 PM,

For the most part I dig all the snippets. Not sure about the opener but other than that, I'm still very much looking forward to getting my pre-ordered CD. I think this will be a very well reviewed record even if its a little more mellow than some people would like.
06-07-2009, 02:39 PM,

Well I see Special ONe as the boys all grown up and off the bubble gum. Rockford has that sweet tooth flavor. But I must saw The Latest sounds grown up again just in a different direction than Special. Hey I'm 48 listening to CT since thay arrived, and never varied from them Just a thought
Its All Right, Shes All Nite, Shes All Right With Me............ Tongue
06-07-2009, 02:56 PM,

california girl is a remake of bad little girl from all the kings men. rocked up a bit. i like it. always felt bad so few ever heard that tune. makes one wanna dance. remaking the pepsi tune? not sure what to think. innovative or out of ideas? miss tomorrow is a b side from robin's solo, rocked up a bit as well. like it too. i like ballads, but gotta be in the mood for em. would've liked a little more up tempo tunes, not necessarily rockers, just a quicker pace. overall i give it a 7.5 out of 10 (based on the 5 songs i already know and the snippets of the other 8) coincidentally, imho rockford was a 9 and special one was a 5.5 the doctor 4.7 robin's solo 8.7 ( most very radio friendly) and ct 97 was also a 9. this one shows off their talent, but has few radio friendly ones. marketing won't be easy. I'd put out california girl or maybe miss tomorrow first. none of the ballads sound radio friendly to me so far.

https://sputinc7.wixsite.com/covwc

I didn't do it.   But, if I did do it, it was an accident! Angel

if you lose your head and give up, you niether live nor win. that's just the way it is.
 Exclamation
06-07-2009, 03:01 PM,

Finally gave the samples a listen and I like what I hear.

I agree that it sounds like a more "grown up" tone for the band. Maybe they're aiming for the Adult-Contemporary radio market this time.

With the high ratio of ballads to uptempo numbers, this could very well pass as Robin's second solo album.

Also noticed a high usage of piano, keys and strings thru out the album too.

The first song does come off a bit odd, especially for an album opener but I like the rest of the songs. There are a couple like Miracle that are very Lennon-esque.

There are at least a few rehashes in there, Miss Tommorrow (Robin's B-side), Every Day You Make Me Crazy (Nothing Else Is A Pepsi) and Alive (What's In It For You).

I'm looking forward to hearing the album in it's entirety.
06-07-2009, 03:02 PM,

radiolover Wrote:california girl is a remake of bad little girl from all the kings men. rocked up a bit. i like it. always felt bad so few ever heard that tune.
I didn't spot that on first listening.... I didn't like 'Bad Little Girl' at all, I must confess!

I do like quite a lot of the other snippets though and hope we in the UK eventually get to hear a few of them played live. Well actually, I hope we in the UK eventually get to hear CT play anything at all live again......
06-07-2009, 03:05 PM,

I would say road trip,, but i guess it's boat trip for you mike!
and i've never heard what's in it for you before.

https://sputinc7.wixsite.com/covwc

I didn't do it.   But, if I did do it, it was an accident! Angel

if you lose your head and give up, you niether live nor win. that's just the way it is.
 Exclamation
06-07-2009, 03:10 PM,

How guys can you spoil your fun by listening snippets of 30 seconds? Don't you love the old joy of discovering an album at the first listen?
I know it's hard to resist to a full-length song but these are just 30 seconds samples!!!
It's like checking what's the end before you watch the movie.
"What I just said is the fundamental, end-all, final, not-subject-to-opinion absolute truth, depending on where you're standing."
06-07-2009, 03:15 PM,

Zed Wrote:How guys can you spoil your fun by listening snippets of 30 seconds? Don't you love the old joy of discovering an album at the first listen?
I know it's hard to resist to a full-length song but these are just 30 seconds samples!!!
It's like checking what's the end before you watch the movie.
LOL

More like walking in on the middle of a movie, watching for 10 minutes and leaving, thus forming a premature opinion.

I hate listening to snippets, but they are so damn hard to resist. New Cheap Trick music is like an old and loved family member visiting for the first time in 3 years.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
06-07-2009, 03:17 PM,

Time of our lives, has a lttile of the Beatle's She's Leaving Home.
I was wondering how doing the Sgnt Peppers gig was going to effect their new out put. I am thinking it has had a massive impact judging from what I have heard with these samples
06-07-2009, 03:24 PM,

Mike Hayes Wrote:
radiolover Wrote:california girl is a remake of bad little girl from all the kings men. rocked up a bit. i like it. always felt bad so few ever heard that tune.
I didn't spot that on first listening.... I didn't like 'Bad Little Girl' at all, I must confess!

I do like quite a lot of the other snippets though and hope we in the UK eventually get to hear a few of them played live. Well actually, I hope we in the UK eventually get to hear CT play anything at all live again......
I concur. Big Grin
06-07-2009, 05:06 PM,

ahhhh chooooo....
06-07-2009, 05:26 PM,

Thanks Steve for the heads up on the snippets for the songs. It's nice to have the option of listening or not. I am going to wait until I can listen to the CD in whole. If one believes that music is art, and I do, I could not consider only a small bit of a song on it's own. It would be lile looking at one of Monet's water lilies and not the whole canvas.

But I get a kick out of Steve saying 'reckon'. I can just hear it in my mind now. :laugh:
06-07-2009, 05:39 PM,

ya...impossible for me to tell with the little bit we can hear....but I'm feeling good about it..