Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Reckon It's a Winner , any other thoughts ?? - short song preview available on Amazon
06-07-2009, 06:22 PM,

This cracks me up.

Let's face it--Cheap Trick has always been all over the place. One second they're rockers. The next, power poppers. The next balladeers. The next, new wavers. Sometimes, even experimental.

This is probably why we like them so much. One person's sour grape is another's cup of tea. And that's okay!

I've listened to the sound samples and have come to the conclusion to wait. I need to hear the whole thing.

What I do know is that I appreciate that they're not one note and we're not getting the same thing over and over again.

Diversity is the spice of life!
GOO GOO GOO JOOB...

("No you're not" said Little Nicole)
06-07-2009, 06:44 PM,

First, not able to have an opinion about the entire songs with such short cuts.
Production work is great one time again. The bass seems to be more present (maybe in relation with the number of ballads ?).
Now, let us be realist like CT. They do new albums for their own pleasure, knowing they will not have big radioplay and sales.
If Rockford didn't have the success it deserved, I wouldn't see any other CT disc realizes it.

That it pleases us or not, I think that now (since Woke up with Monster), they do what their feeling wants.

Like Mike Hayes, I just hope they will come back in Europe because they are sick of... and requiring a list of songs with recent material : here, I'm really dreamin'
06-07-2009, 07:15 PM,

The Walrus Wrote:This cracks me up.

Let's face it--Cheap Trick has always been all over the place. One second they're rockers. The next, power poppers. The next balladeers. The next, new wavers. Sometimes, even experimental.

This is probably why we like them so much. One person's sour grape is another's cup of tea. And that's okay!

I've listened to the sound samples and have come to the conclusion to wait. I need to hear the whole thing.

What I do know is that I appreciate that they're not one note and we're not getting the same thing over over again.

Diversity is the spice of life!

Amen!!!! icon_thumleft.gif
06-07-2009, 07:50 PM,

like i said in another page,,its like a lost john lennon album... they nailed it
Thank you Cheap Trick!
ill never eat a double cheeseburger before bed again.
THE BEST FVCKIN ROCK BAND .................
06-07-2009, 07:51 PM,

Bernadicou Wrote:Moreover, I want it to sound like Cheap Trick. Not Special One, but Rockford.
Seriously, what does everyone have against Special One, besides the last 2 songs being practically identical? Special One sounds 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000x better than any of the snippets on this CD, with the exception of Sick Man of Europe. Face it, Special One is Cheap Trick.

(Sorry in advance for the rants and ensuing drama to unfold)
Tom Petersson: Donkey Baseball, Beak Grinder, Pop Tarts.
06-07-2009, 07:58 PM,

S.O was a good album Rockford was a great album... you have your favorites thats very cool.... the last 2 tracks were done what im told was trick has the same strange riff and wanted to see who (producer) could play with it..
again thats what i was told,, S.O what done really well.. but rockford was a work of art. it had everything. like some albums some lack luster or the right stuff but its cheap trick...
the best garage band ever
Thank you Cheap Trick!
ill never eat a double cheeseburger before bed again.
THE BEST FVCKIN ROCK BAND .................
06-07-2009, 08:15 PM,

TheDoctorIsIn Wrote:
Zed Wrote:How guys can you spoil your fun by listening snippets of 30 seconds? Don't you love the old joy of discovering an album at the first listen?
I know it's hard to resist to a full-length song but these are just 30 seconds samples!!!
It's like checking what's the end before you watch the movie.
LOL

More like walking in on the middle of a movie, watching for 10 minutes and leaving, thus forming a premature opinion.

I hate listening to snippets, but they are so damn hard to resist. New Cheap Trick music is like an old and loved family member visiting for the first time in 3 years.
I think I'm gonna try to resist the snippets, no matter how I'm starving about the album. And perhaps it's because I'm starving about the album that I'd prefer to resist the snippets...

I'm glad we have now "Sick Man Of Europe" to listen to, and the cover of "The Latest"to watch. These are two hints about the forthcoming CD, and also very good vibes in my opinion. I don't beg for more until the day (june the 23d?) I'm gonna play the album.
And then, I'd be so impatient to share my feelings on our beloved messageboard.
I don't like living in this fleshy human shell
As much as I abuse it it's really gone to hell
06-07-2009, 08:30 PM,

CHRISTOPHEZEE Wrote:I think I'm gonna try to resist the snippets, no matter how I'm starving about the album. And perhaps it's because I'm starving about the album that I'd prefer to resist the snippets...
I really, really wished I had done that also but it was too damn tempting. I felt like it was Christmas morning and couldn't wait to rip open my presents LOL!! I'm not listening to the snippets anymore. I'll wait for the CD Smile
debj1111@bigpond.com

~ * Deborah * ~ ... SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA!!!

** ABSOLUTELY ** CRAZY FOR ROBIN!!!!

CHEAP TRICK!! IT'S TIME FOR A HEADLINING TOUR OF AUSTRALIA!!
06-07-2009, 09:04 PM,

I'm loving Everybody Knows. Listening to the little snippet over and over. Glad it's one of the longer songs on the album.
Love between the ugly is the most beautiful love of all. -Todd Rundgren
06-07-2009, 09:17 PM,

I was reading the interview that Rick did with Vintagerock.com when they were in Australia and notice that he mentions that they have another album already finished...and what he says about it:

" Rick:
We also have another album we’ve already finished.

Interviewer:
I was wondering about a follow-up. When can we expect that?

Rick:
I don’t know exactly, but it’s done. Just this past year.

Interviewer:
Do you have a title?

Rick:
Not really. We’ve been calling it kind of a trilogy because it’s got three songs, then three that kind of go together, then three, and three, then one. So it’s four trilogies and a bastard (laughs)."

Hmmm...which song is the bastard?

Here's the complete interview if you want to read it:
Vintagerock.com
06-07-2009, 09:33 PM,

Lovin' These Days....oh boy.... drunken_smilie1.gif

Where's the song Robin was supposed to sing a cappella? It must be Sleep Forever.... :love:
06-07-2009, 10:00 PM,

I'm not going to try reviewing the album based on the snippets, but such snippets can tell you a few things.

First off, more slower-type songs on this album. That seems to suggest Robin had a lot of creative input on this one, since he seems to be the one who likes the slower stuff the most. Can't blame him, I think singers like songs they can really put a stamp on. The rockier/poppier stuff is more a showcase for a band, the slower stuff is more a showcase for a singer.

Second, I was hoping for something with a harder edge than Rockford and I guess I'm not getting that. I'll survive, they're the band, they can do what they want. In fact, I WANT them to do what they want, that's what makes them interesting, but no law says I have to like it.

HOWEVER, I'm guessing I'll like the album more when I listen all the way through than I do from the snippets. That's the problem with snippets, though. On a slow song, which takes more time to develop, all the snippet tells you is that it's a slow song. You really have NO idea if it's any good. The snippet gives you better information on up-tempo songs, which develop quicker, but more than once I've had no interest in a song from a 30-second snippet and then I've LOVED the song when I heard the whole thing. That part of a song that makes you love it might not be in the snippet.

So the ONLY conclusion I can draw from the snippets is that this isn't the Cheap Trick album I'd hoped for. It's still entirely possible that I'll love it. I won't really know until I hear it all the way through.
06-07-2009, 10:07 PM,

KISSrules1978 Wrote:
Bernadicou Wrote:Moreover, I want it to sound like Cheap Trick. Not Special One, but Rockford.
Seriously, what does everyone have against Special One, besides the last 2 songs being practically identical? Special One sounds 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000x better than any of the snippets on this CD, with the exception of Sick Man of Europe. Face it, Special One is Cheap Trick.

SO has three of my favorites Cheap Trick songs: "Best Friend", "Sorry Boy", and "Pop Drone"!
GOO GOO GOO JOOB...

("No you're not" said Little Nicole)
06-07-2009, 10:14 PM,

Well, after listening to the snippets, I too think that some of the songs sound "slower" than what we are used to from this band. HOWEVER, play the first 30 seconds of BEST FRIEND and that song also starts out slow. Not until well over a minute into the song, do the guitars/bass and drums really pick up and then the song simply kicks rockon.png.gif 1963_headbanger_playing_an_electric_guitar.gif

I'll wait until I have the cd to hear the songs in full to give a review.

Thanks for the link btw!
"You're Takin' Me Back"
06-07-2009, 10:15 PM,

The Walrus Wrote:
KISSrules1978 Wrote:

SO has three of my favorites Cheap Trick songs: "Best Friend", "Sorry Boy", and "Pop Drone"!
Love those songs!
Are we really the Dream Police...