Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Last time you heard ct on the radio - Too long?
11-15-2004, 10:24 PM,

Thumbs up to 93.3 in Dallas/Fort Worth again! They played Big Eyes last night. I've been hearing them on that station quite a bit! Smile
The more I think about, the less that it matters; the less I think about, the more that it matters...
11-16-2004, 06:37 AM,

Big Eyes?! Wow, that's a switch!

People at work give me 'Cheap Trick announcements'-LOL...someone told me they just heard Surrender (big surprise, right?)
I love Cheap Trick!!
11-16-2004, 07:14 PM,

That's the kind of reputation to be proud of at work, Lowlife! Smile

Cleveland radio should be playing CT a lot since they're going to be in town Friday. In DFW, 93.3 does play more CT than just the "top three" -- I've heard "She's Tight," and "Gonna Raise Hell" recently.

Just a couple of days to go, you lucky gal...we're expecting a good review.

Brigette
The more I think about, the less that it matters; the less I think about, the more that it matters...
11-16-2004, 08:12 PM,

I hear them almost every day on this new radio station in Dallas, Jack FM. Actually, its not really a song, but a bunch of words from various songs, a promo for the radio station...goes like this "playing what we want on Jack FM" Want from IWYTWM....kinda hard to discribe but it puts a smile on my face everytime I hear the promo....the radio station has also played several tunes...Dont be Cruel, and Ghost Town, 2 of wich you dont hear often anymore.....
"Cause I know what I want and I know how to get it"
11-16-2004, 09:00 PM,

Really? I'd be surprised to hear Ghost Town on the radio! Smile Where can we tune in to get Jack FM here in the Dallas area, TomLvr?
11-17-2004, 08:41 AM,

This morning I was just about to hit the snooze button when I heard a familiar note. Surrender. Thanks for the note, Bun E!
11-18-2004, 04:03 PM,

This past week-end on WZLX-Boston. it was a live cut week-end and they played Ain't that a shame and surrender and of course IWYTWM. BUT the best part was they were giving away live DVD'S and one of them was Music for Hangover's.
11-18-2004, 08:55 PM,

Mandycello Wrote:We're pretty lucky in the D/FW area having a station that plays CT pretty frequently. The station is called 93.3 The Bone. Not only do they play the big 3 on a regular basis, they also have "Stop This Game", "Big Eyes", "She's Tight", "Hello There", "IYWML", and "Gonna Raise Hell" in the library. It makes me smile to hear any of those songs hoping other people are hearing them and loving them too.
Shoot, I'm moving to Dallas. I heard Surrender on 96.5 WHTQ the other day, but they're too much in love with the likes of Lynyrd Skynyrd (I know I mangled that one but oh well), Bad Company, Pink Floyd, and the STones. Gets boring, but the alternative is drowning pool serenading me about the bodies hitting the floor. Mostly the cd player is in use when I'm in the car by myself.
What??!
11-21-2004, 09:24 AM,

Big Grin

A HUGE THANK YOU to Rich Creeger of Classic Rock 96.9 FM in Fredericksburg,VA!!

Saturday night
just before 7pm....Cheap Trick - IWYTWM (Budokan)
7-8 ..his "Rogaine Rock" (aka 80's Hair Band Rock) show
just after 8pm...Cheap Trick - Ain't That a Shame (Budokan)...the WHOLE thing!!

Yes Virginia...there is a rock station that plays CT! Big Grin
"Everyone has a photographic memory.
Some just don't have film."
11-21-2004, 03:56 PM,

Night before last I was in Subway in Norton, Virginia and heard "I Want You to Want Me" (followed by the album version of U2's "Sunday Bloody Sunday"). I love the song -- really, I do -- but it seems that's all I ever hear on Top 40, AC, Hot AC, or Adult CHR.

Being a former radio disc jockey and program director myself, I can tell you that part of the problem is that groups with active rotations (the artists with the big hits, especially pop hits) always have an active fan base that requests that group's material. It also helps to have a song on the soundtrack of a hit movie. The other issue is the effect that the big recording companies have on what gets played. They control what gets produced and how much money is spent to publicize it. They're not "evil" people necessarily but they are always trying to read trends and figure out what will SELL THE MOST. If they don't maximize profit, they're out of business quick. It's a very competitive market.

When I was program director at WZQK 99.7FM, I remember that "Say Goodbye" was on a HitDisc from TM Century (the company in Dallas, Texas that supplies CDs to most radio stations in the U.S., including countdown shows like Rick Dees Weekly Top 40). I was elated and immediately put it into rotation as a new tune. We got a few requests for it (and it matched the sound of our other Hot AC music), so I increased the rotation a little bit. However, I noticed that it never really caught on and I never heard it on any of the countdown shows either. Eventually I had to reduce it's rotation and take it off the playlist, much to my sorrow. However, being program director is NOT about playing what you want to hear, but playing what your audience wants to hear.

I'm not even sure if the boys of CT are really looking to "hit it big" again. We'd all love it, but I don't think the idea interests them anymore. I believe they've come to the conclusion that they enjoy what they're doing and it's okay if they don't sell 50 gazillion albums every time. They know that they've been very successful over the years and -- important point -- THEY'RE STILL AROUND MAKING MUSIC. What a job that must be! Getting paid to do something you love as much as life itself! Big Grin
11-21-2004, 05:55 PM,

I heard those, too, Whoucisme!

96.9 rocks! (That's where we hear that Alice Cooper Nights show, too!)

It was really NICE to hear them on the radio around here for a change!!!

~Candy
11-21-2004, 08:28 PM,

Hey Tomlvr:
I listen to Jack FM too-and have heard CT played there as well. Although you can't read the text on my tiny avatar--it says Texas Tricks--for our little group of Texas Trick fans-every now and then we can get the Bone 93.3 FM to play some CT--and not just the Big 5--but mostly, I rely on my personal collection of CDs on the way to work for my Trick fix. They really are one of the most versatile, talented bands, and I never tire of their music.
Kathy's all right, Johnny's all right, we're all all right
Texas Tricks
11-22-2004, 09:26 AM,

2tricksters Wrote:They really are one of the most versatile, talented bands, and I never tire of their music.
I'll second that, 2Tricksters! Big Grin Hope to see you soon.
11-23-2004, 09:29 AM,

While painting this weekend I heard Ain't That A Shame on our classic rock station here...then as a bonus on Sunday while listening to my pre-game football show they had IWYTWM as the intro music,the host then said,"Thank you Cheap Trick for the good times". Props to him! :Wink:
I won't hide it...I won't throw your love awaaaay !
11-24-2004, 06:32 AM,

Heard Surrender yesterday.
I love Cheap Trick!!