Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Merle Travis guitar
01-28-2011, 11:55 AM,
RE: This Merle Travis guitar
Rick said in an interview this week ........ "I have a very rare 1963 Guild Merle Travis guitar. Only three were ever made. I looked for over 35 years and finally found one. It cost $2,000 in 1963—you could buy a Ford Mustang back then for that price! It's the Holy Grail of guitars."

Rick also says elsewhere on the interweb ........ that when he bought this guitar from George Gruhn,the neck and headstock had been broken off of the guitar,and it was in 25 pieces. Rick contacted the luthiers who built the guitar and they restored the guitar to its original condition.

Ok there was only three made, Rick's got one and Pete Townshend's got one so who's got the other one? dontknow.gif Big Grin
01-29-2011, 10:55 AM,

Just a guess here...Merle Travis? ???

BTW, love that picture of Rick with his fabulous guitar. They both look great! Thanks Dar for the linky. xx
Go Completely Wild!
01-29-2011, 02:42 PM,

Pete no longer has his....he smashed it. 1963_headbanger_playing_an_electric_guitar.gif
01-29-2011, 03:00 PM,

Piano Nerd Wrote:Just a guess here...Merle Travis? ???

BTW, love that picture of Rick with his fabulous guitar. They both look great! Thanks Dar for the linky. xx
Well Merle might well have one but not on this planet he doesn't. :devil:

Oh and by the way little Miss Clever Clogs,did you notice the symbol on the headstock? Big Grin
Where've you seen that before? dontknow.gif
01-29-2011, 04:10 PM,

Darran Wrote:

Oh and by the way little Miss Clever Clogs,did you notice the symbol on the headstock? Big Grin
Nice observation, there, Darran! icon_thumright.gif
01-29-2011, 05:21 PM,

Paul Calypso Wrote:Pete no longer has his....he smashed it. 1963_headbanger_playing_an_electric_guitar.gif
You had me going for a nanosecond there.... Big Grin
Go Completely Wild!
01-29-2011, 05:22 PM,

Darran Wrote:

Yes, I have just one or two little picks with that fleur de lis. But not nearly enough of them! :laugh:
Go Completely Wild!
01-30-2011, 07:39 AM,

i have to assume that the templars have hidden the 3rd one somewhere... and tom hanks will be looking for it very soon...
01-30-2011, 01:32 PM,

Im such a muppet! After reading this thread I Googled this guitar and found another thread about it elsewhere.
When I read it I thought, strange, its almost identical to this thread here. icon_scratch.gif

Eventually I noticed that it was on a Swansea FC forum and the first poster was someone called Darran :p
I could use a little more cowbell
01-30-2011, 04:26 PM,

What a nice looking guitar. The detail on the headstock is great too. Thanks for posting Darran. icon_thumleft.gif

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀