Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It was 25 years ago today - Shuttle Explosion brings back memories
01-28-2011, 02:03 PM,
RE: It was 25 years ago today - Shuttle Explosion brings back memories
Hard to believe it has been 25 years since the Challenger exploded. It hits me a bit harder than other "outsiders" because at the time I was employed by Hughes Aircraft who made satellites that were sent into orbit by the shuttle program. As a treat to employees, they sometimes had the astronauts come to the company and speak about their exploits in space. At one presentation, Judith Resnick was part of a crew that spoke about their first missions. They showed footage of her in a t-shirt and shorts in weightlessness and I think I developed a crush on her.

Afterward, the astronauts would mingle with the rank and file. Turns out Judith grew up just a couple of hours north of where I went to college so we exchanged some words about it and she signed the picture of the crew they provided employees. My few moments of fantasy with her were very pleasant. Sort of ironic that one tragedy would beget another downside-the explosion + the fall of communism in East Germany a year later would pretty well do in the military satellite program and eliminate thousands of jobs(including mine) which would never come back.

A sad day for all. R.I.P.
01-28-2011, 02:16 PM,

A sad day indeed.
01-29-2011, 10:57 AM,

I was a student at University of Houston at the time. Never forget watching the footage of the explosion in the student lounge. Truly shocking and sad. icon_pale.gif
Go Completely Wild!
01-29-2011, 07:21 PM,

I was only 22 at the time, and it was a most terrible day for the nation....second only, to 9-11! Sad

The Columbia disaster in '03 was also a tragic day! Sad
In promulgating your esoteric cogitations and articulating your superficial sentimentalities, amicable, philosophical and psychological observations...beware of platitude misponderosities!
02-01-2011, 11:42 AM,

I had real interest in the shuttle program. My parents allowed me to stay home from school to watch launches and landings. I compiled facts and information in notebooks and typed some. And of course dreamed of becoming an astronaut.
Fast forward a few years later and I no longer woke up early or took off time from my silly job to watch launches. Just waited for news brief on world news programs. Then the horrible happened. Of course we understand that this could happen; just always hoped it would not.
Columbia was a greater heartbreak for me, if you will excuse the comparison. The thought of the loss of the individuals in that way was just so tough. And the vehicle was a great loss as well. The history those two crafts created.
I still have all my hand written notes and original newspaper sections of launches, missions and landings. Last April I was incredibly fortunate enough to realize a longtime dream of not only seeing a launch in person but to be able to witness the event with my parents and my children.
Ill share some of my images here later if anyone is interested.
All things must pass