Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
You STILL have things going on.... - Well, of course you do!
05-15-2010, 08:43 PM,

pam2662 Wrote:
cheapdate Wrote:TGIF Everybody !!
The rains have ended and it looks like we might have a sunny weekend here in the midwest. I'll just be doing some yardwork and we'll go out for dinner Saturday night for our (gulp) 28th Anniversary. Honeymooning in Hawaii ~ 1982
I love this picture!
Thanks, Pam. We were out in the middle of nowhere in Maui. We were both reminiscing tonight about how we set up the tripod and auto-shoot for pics like this.
Hello, it's me again .....
05-19-2010, 06:50 PM,

Didn't want to start a new thread just for this little ditty. For all of you dog lovers out there... Big Grin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaAVZ2yXDBo
05-19-2010, 08:49 PM,

cheapdate Wrote:
pam2662 Wrote:
cheapdate Wrote:TGIF Everybody !!
The rains have ended and it looks like we might have a sunny weekend here in the midwest. I'll just be doing some yardwork and we'll go out for dinner Saturday night for our (gulp) 28th Anniversary. Honeymooning in Hawaii ~ 1982
I love this picture!
Thanks, Pam. We were out in the middle of nowhere in Maui. We were both reminiscing tonight about how we set up the tripod and auto-shoot for pics like this.
oh I see out in the middle of nowhere..... Wink
05-20-2010, 11:48 AM,

1955Meg Wrote:Didn't want to start a new thread just for this little ditty. For all of you dog lovers out there... Big Grin
THAT was hilarious!! When the hands went up in the air 'cuz the spoon was lost, I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes! Thanks, Meg!
There is somewhere, someplace in the world
I want to take you, look out.....

http://countrygirl3ct.tripod.com/ (Tricknic website)
05-20-2010, 11:54 AM,

Here's a great "out of the mouths of babes" moment:

Last night, I brought my little puppy girl outside to visit with one of my neighbor's dogs. While visiting, my other 2 neighbors came outside, so I ended up chatting for an extended period of time. During our visit, my little puppy girl decided she needed to leave a pile on my neighbor's front lawn. I told her that I'd pick it up when we were done chatting. She was fine with that. So, we finish talking and I walk towards my house to get a baggie. Her 6 year old son yelled out, "Kimberly, I don't think you should pick it up!" I asked why and he said, "Because the flies like it!" I replied that I'm sure they did, but that his mom wouldn't want me to leave it there for the flies.

I giggled as I walked away.......
There is somewhere, someplace in the world
I want to take you, look out.....

http://countrygirl3ct.tripod.com/ (Tricknic website)
05-20-2010, 01:41 PM,

You guys ever watch She's Crafty? I admit that I'm not all that interested in her projects but I love the camera work. Really nice, shallow depth of field. There are a few cooking/lifestyle shows like this as well. Thin area of focus in the close ups. Delicious.

I left a message with an old friend more than a month ago. Roger Waters is coming to my area in late October and I wanted to go with this guy. Tickets sale started and I still had not heard from him. I just got two hoping someone else would go with me.
He called me this passed weekend and redeemed himself.
All things must pass
05-21-2010, 09:49 PM,

My son had a phone interview yesterday for an internship with the Conservation & Land Management association through the Chicago Botanical Gardens. The phone interview went really well, and he felt he was in for sure. The internship is for 5 months in Utah. The guy told him that he "should" know by 5pm the next day whether he got it or not, but sounded as tho he'd call either way. Well, no call today. I don't know what to think ..... what a letdown. Seems the black cloud just won't go away around here. He was told not to call the interviewer, to let a couple days go by. This was from someone well educated with the dealings of internships. I think he should call on Monday. dontknow.gif
05-21-2010, 10:30 PM,

It seems no one ever calls back when they promise to Jeanne. I hope it works out for him.

I know what you mean about black clouds. It's so bad here I can barely function or breathe. Sad
All I want is a place in your heart to fall into
05-22-2010, 07:50 AM,

Yeah, I know all about the no call-backs. This is the 2nd time my husband has been through a lay-off in an 8 year period. You can go through a phone interview, another one in the office with a tour, and then complete silence. They don't even welcome the old fashioned "thank-you for the interview" calls anymore, let alone a call or e-mail inquiring about your status. I realize these places are overwhelmed when they have an opening and that is why they prefer to go through an agency (to avoid 200 applicants per opening), but even when they only have a handful of candidates the proper etiquette is long gone.

I admit that it would have been a struggle to get my son out to Utah within 4 weeks, but this is the type of experience he needs and we would have found a way for sure. I looked up Amtrack and they go from Chicago to Provo, UT - which would then be an hour or so from where he would need to be.
05-22-2010, 05:44 PM,

Today at the Mobile Food Pantry, we distributed an incredible 5 tons of assorted frozen meat for some 400 families! Mr. Ross (One of our purchasers), paid only 9 cents per pound ($900) for it.

(Being a volunteer, we also get to take some goodies for us...I brought home some 40 Lbs of it...mostly chicken breasts, pork tenderloin, & sliced slab bacon)

Onslow would be proud! :laugh: Big Grin
In promulgating your esoteric cogitations and articulating your superficial sentimentalities, amicable, philosophical and psychological observations...beware of platitude misponderosities!
05-22-2010, 07:17 PM,

Country Girl 3 Wrote:Here's a great "out of the mouths of babes" moment:

Last night, I brought my little puppy girl outside to visit with one of my neighbor's dogs. While visiting, my other 2 neighbors came outside, so I ended up chatting for an extended period of time. During our visit, my little puppy girl decided she needed to leave a pile on my neighbor's front lawn. I told her that I'd pick it up when we were done chatting. She was fine with that. So, we finish talking and I walk towards my house to get a baggie. Her 6 year old son yelled out, "Kimberly, I don't think you should pick it up!" I asked why and he said, "Because the flies like it!" I replied that I'm sure they did, but that his mom wouldn't want me to leave it there for the flies.

I giggled as I walked away.......
...feed the flies...tuppance...tuppance... Smile
05-22-2010, 07:20 PM,

Country Girl 3 Wrote:
1955Meg Wrote:Didn't want to start a new thread just for this little ditty. For all of you dog lovers out there... Big Grin
THAT was hilarious!! When the hands went up in the air 'cuz the spoon was lost, I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes! Thanks, Meg!
You're very welcome! I thought that the dog was hilarious as well!! Thanks! Smile
05-22-2010, 08:44 PM,

Was listening to Bob and Tom on the radio this past Thursday. That show. Those people are nuts! Anyway, "the thought for the day" was, get this, 'If you had to be either 2 feet tall or 10 feet tall, which would you choose?"
They had a pretty good time with it, the pros and cons, but they all decided that they'd rather be 10 feet tall. One said that at least the NBA would have a job for you. And off they went!
I called my son and laughingly asked him which he would chose. At 2' tall, you'd have to drive your car standing on the seat. He went with the 10 feet. And then I asked 'well, what about 3 feet or 10?' (he's 6'2 and 22) and it wasn't until we got up into the 5' range that he would consider taking the shorter of the two choices.
Food for thought! What about you?
05-26-2010, 08:42 PM,

cheapdate Wrote:Yeah, I know all about the no call-backs. This is the 2nd time my husband has been through a lay-off in an 8 year period. You can go through a phone interview, another one in the office with a tour, and then complete silence. They don't even welcome the old fashioned "thank-you for the interview" calls anymore, let alone a call or e-mail inquiring about your status. I realize these places are overwhelmed when they have an opening and that is why they prefer to go through an agency (to avoid 200 applicants per opening), but even when they only have a handful of candidates the proper etiquette is long gone.

I admit that it would have been a struggle to get my son out to Utah within 4 weeks, but this is the type of experience he needs and we would have found a way for sure. I looked up Amtrack and they go from Chicago to Provo, UT - which would then be an hour or so from where he would need to be.
Jeanne, one of my good friends works for the Garden -- do you want me to ask her if she has any "clout" on this?

P.S.: I'm waiting for a callback myself-- from another company. I'm looking at a vet bill, so it can't come too soon!
"Beautiful thoughts of all kinds crystallize into habits of grace and kindliness, which solidify into genial and sunny circumstances."
05-26-2010, 10:00 PM,

Lady Luck Wrote:
cheapdate Wrote:Yeah, I know all about the no call-backs. This is the 2nd time my husband has been through a lay-off in an 8 year period. You can go through a phone interview, another one in the office with a tour, and then complete silence. They don't even welcome the old fashioned "thank-you for the interview" calls anymore, let alone a call or e-mail inquiring about your status. I realize these places are overwhelmed when they have an opening and that is why they prefer to go through an agency (to avoid 200 applicants per opening), but even when they only have a handful of candidates the proper etiquette is long gone.

Jeanne, one of my good friends works for the Garden -- do you want me to ask her if she has any "clout" on this?

P.S.: I'm waiting for a callback myself-- from another company. I'm looking at a vet bill, so it can't come too soon!
He got an e-mail from another biologist from the CLM asking if he would be interested in summer work up in Fairbanks, AK. They sent a few e-mails back and forth, and then it stopped dead in the water. He would be working in Denali Nat'l. Park and was told he'd have to take a "Bear Safety" class. I think these days, clout and networking are a must with the amount of competition that there is out there. I don't know if it's the Garden that makes these decisions tho. I think it's the Conservation & Land Mgmt. biologists that do the interviewing/hiring.

Good luck on your callback, M'Lady!