Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
You STILL have things going on.... - Well, of course you do!
05-27-2010, 05:24 PM,

5 months of being unemployed. 3 decent 'jobs' listed. 1 interview. 0 job.
Anyone else still unemployed? How is the economy shaping up where you live/work?
05-28-2010, 07:02 AM,

1955Meg Wrote:5 months of being unemployed. 3 decent 'jobs' listed. 1 interview. 0 job.
Anyone else still unemployed? How is the economy shaping up where you live/work?
Next week will be 4 years since my permanent full time job ended. 3 stints at temping only since then.
All I want is a place in your heart to fall into
05-28-2010, 08:30 AM,

Hopefully we've reached the bottom as far as lay-offs are concerned. Now, all we need is some hiring.
05-28-2010, 08:34 PM,

cheapdate Wrote:
Lady Luck Wrote:
cheapdate Wrote:Yeah, I know all about the no call-backs. This is the 2nd time my husband has been through a lay-off in an 8 year period. You can go through a phone interview, another one in the office with a tour, and then complete silence. They don't even welcome the old fashioned "thank-you for the interview" calls anymore, let alone a call or e-mail inquiring about your status. I realize these places are overwhelmed when they have an opening and that is why they prefer to go through an agency (to avoid 200 applicants per opening), but even when they only have a handful of candidates the proper etiquette is long gone.

I admit that it would have been a struggle to get my son out to Utah within 4 weeks, but this is the type of experience he needs and we would have found a way for sure. I looked up Amtrack and they go from Chicago to Provo, UT - which would then be an hour or so from where he would need to be.
Jeanne, one of my good friends works for the Garden -- do you want me to ask her if she has any "clout" on this?

P.S.: I'm waiting for a callback myself-- from another company. I'm looking at a vet bill, so it can't come too soon!
He got an e-mail from another biologist from the CLM asking if he would be interested in summer work up in Fairbanks, AK. They sent a few e-mails back and forth, and then it stopped dead in the water. He would be working in Denali Nat'l. Park and was told he'd have to take a "Bear Safety" class. I think these days, clout and networking are a must with the amount of competition that there is out there. I don't know if it's the Garden that makes these decisions tho. I think it's the Conservation & Land Mgmt. biologists that do the interviewing/hiring.

Good luck on your callback, M'Lady!
Update: He got a call from Fairbanks today. He'd be interning at Denali Nat'l. Park. I told him not to get his hopes up (mom gets a little worried about the fact that he has to take a "Bear Safety Class") because the last denial was too much of a letdown. But just to be prepared, I'm gonna play around with online sites to see how horrible a Chicago --> Fairbanks airline ticket would cost. icon_pale.gif
Hello, it's me again .....
05-28-2010, 09:06 PM,

froggie59 Wrote:
1955Meg Wrote:5 months of being unemployed. 3 decent 'jobs' listed. 1 interview. 0 job.
Next week will be 4 years since my permanent full time job ended. 3 stints at temping only since then.
What a bunch of $hit unemployment is. I was unemployed for 6 months. Got paid $5000 over that 6 month period. 2 months after I had found a job they have a phone hearing, because the former employer appealed the descision. None of the fact changed. I said the exact same thing at the hearing as I did when I first applied for benefits, the employer did too. The judge decided to rule against me and said I was disqualified for benefits. Okay, fine. I have a job now. Except for, 2 months after that, I get a letter stating I have to pay all $5000 back to the state. I make $17,000 a year before taxes, where the hell am I going to come up with $5000?
05-29-2010, 08:42 AM,

cheapdate Wrote:He'd be interning at Denali Nat'l. Park.
Sorry to take this into a totally different direction, but my Twilight radar just went up, lol...

Had no idea there was actually a Denali anything in Alaska. In the Twilight Sage there is a vampire coven named Denali and they live in Alaska.

Anyway, good luck to your son Jeanne! It sounds very exciting, but I would be concerned, too. Bears and vampires, oh my! :Wink:
05-29-2010, 08:50 AM,

PEBA Wrote:
froggie59 Wrote:
What a bunch of $hit unemployment is. I was unemployed for 6 months. Got paid $5000 over that 6 month period. 2 months after I had found a job they have a phone hearing, because the former employer appealed the descision. None of the fact changed. I said the exact same thing at the hearing as I did when I first applied for benefits, the employer did too. The judge decided to rule against me and said I was disqualified for benefits. Okay, fine. I have a job now. Except for, 2 months after that, I get a letter stating I have to pay all $5000 back to the state. I make $17,000 a year before taxes, where the hell am I going to come up with $5000?
Oh my God, what a load of crap! There are so many people unemployed right now that I think they are getting very tough and trying to find any way to deny benefits to people. Good luck PEBA. Maybe you should see if you have Legal Aid in your state and file an appeal.

We have had our own problems with unemployment. This time around I am getting about 1/3 of the most I ever received from the DOL, and let me tell you, it's not even enough for groceries. Yes, I am thankful for it, but they base what you get on 4 out of the last 5 full quarters that you worked and because of that I'm screwed. Doesn't matter that I was working full time for almost 7 months...

And my daughter quit her job last year because she was one absence away from getting fired. All her absences were for medical reasons and she had doctors notes. She didn't want the stigma of being fired, so she quit. She applied for unemployment benefits, was denied, she appealed, went to a hearing with an inch thick stack of paperwork and doctors' records, but because she quit and didn't wait to get fired, she was denied benefits. She has been a total mess since and is under several doctors' care. She worked at her job for six years, 2 days after she quit her medical benefits were terminated, she suffered a grand mal seizure, then a severe asthma attack that landed her in the hospital for 5 days...add to that all the stress we're going through with our house, and you've got a daughter who has been told my her doctor that she is in no shape to work right now. I could go on, but I think that's quite enough.
05-29-2010, 09:54 AM,

froggie59 Wrote:
PEBA Wrote:
froggie59 Wrote:
Oh my God, what a load of crap! There are so many people unemployed right now that I think they are getting very tough and trying to find any way to deny benefits to people. Good luck PEBA. Maybe you should see if you have Legal Aid in your state and file an appeal.

We have had our own problems with unemployment. This time around I am getting about 1/3 of the most I ever received from the DOL, and let me tell you, it's not even enough for groceries. Yes, I am thankful for it, but they base what you get on 4 out of the last 5 full quarters that you worked and because of that I'm screwed. Doesn't matter that I was working full time for almost 7 months...

And my daughter quit her job last year because she was one absence away from getting fired. All her absences were for medical reasons and she had doctors notes. She didn't want the stigma of being fired, so she quit. She applied for unemployment benefits, was denied, she appealed, went to a hearing with an inch thick stack of paperwork and doctors' records, but because she quit and didn't wait to get fired, she was denied benefits. She has been a total mess since and is under several doctors' care. She worked at her job for six years, 2 days after she quit her medical benefits were terminated, she suffered a grand mal seizure, then a severe asthma attack that landed her in the hospital for 5 days...add to that all the stress we're going through with our house, and you've got a daughter who has been told my her doctor that she is in no shape to work right now. I could go on, but I think that's quite enough.

Maria with the medical issues that your daughter has she should check out applying for disability instead of unemployment. I'm surprised the doctors haven't suggested it to her.

My sister lost her job last August and because of her dumb a$$ employer couldn't get unemployment for a few months. He sated on the forms that she MAY be called back to work...knowing that she wouldn't be. She has been struggling. There are very few jobs in middle Tennessee. She heard on the radio the other day that a woman in her late forties or older that loses a job in this economy has just been forced into retirement. That certainly didn't help her feel any better about the situation.

Maria good luck to you and your daughter...I wish you all the best.
05-29-2010, 06:10 PM,

I think the biggest problem for my husband is that he is neither "entry level" nor "management" level. There just doesn't seem to be any opportunities out there for those that fall in between. He is either over-qualified or under. At this point, he's willing to take an entry level job, but nobody will hire him for that. He's been working a 32-hour temp job (sweat-shop machine operator) since Sept., and the employees at this place are quite accoustomed to taking long breaks and standing around watching the temps work. He can't go to mgmt., because they already know about it and do nothing about it.
Hello, it's me again .....
06-01-2010, 12:55 PM,

I just wanted to send a HUGE HUG and THANK YOU to all my friends here who know what we have been going through lately! Our attorney just called and we got an extension! The relief is unbelievable. And my husband started a job today. A real job. I continue to pray that we have turned the corner and after years and years of struggle, I hope we are on our way to fixing our lives. icon_cheers.gif
06-01-2010, 01:18 PM,

froggie59 Wrote:I just wanted to send a HUGE HUG and THANK YOU to all my friends here who know what we have been going through lately! Our attorney just called and we got an extension! The relief is unbelievable. And my husband started a job today. A real job. I continue to pray that we have turned the corner and after years and years of struggle, I hope we are on our way to fixing our lives. icon_cheers.gif
WOOO HOOO!!!! Great news!! I'm so happy for you, and so glad your hubby found a permanent position. icon_sunny.gif
Go Completely Wild!
06-01-2010, 01:24 PM,

Piano Nerd Wrote:
froggie59 Wrote:I just wanted to send a HUGE HUG and THANK YOU to all my friends here who know what we have been going through lately! Our attorney just called and we got an extension! The relief is unbelievable. And my husband started a job today. A real job. I continue to pray that we have turned the corner and after years and years of struggle, I hope we are on our way to fixing our lives. icon_cheers.gif
WOOO HOOO!!!! Great news!! I'm so happy for you, and so glad your hubby found a permanent position. icon_sunny.gif
Love you Thalia! icon_cheers.gif
06-01-2010, 02:04 PM,

WONDERFUL news, Maria!! SO VERY happy for your husband and family! A new leaf, for sure!! Smile
06-01-2010, 06:54 PM,

Wonderful news, Maria! Congratulations to you and your family!
Let's hope the "job bug" is "catching!"
"Beautiful thoughts of all kinds crystallize into habits of grace and kindliness, which solidify into genial and sunny circumstances."
06-01-2010, 06:57 PM,

Thank you, thank you so much! I am off to get my mother - her plane just landed from Hungary - and I won't be online again til probably tomorrow afternoon. Love you guys and thanks so much for the prayers and support! You know who you are!