Bon Scott
Other
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robin Zander vs. The Greatest Male Rock Vocalists
07-23-2006, 06:06 PM,
RE: Robin Zander vs. The Greatest Male Rock Vocalists
How do ya'll think Robin stacks up against the best of all time?
All the things we did
What's left is just a photograph
07-23-2006, 06:54 PM,

He stacks up VERY well.

If there were others I would have added, they would have been Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder, Bryan Ferry, Layne Staley and Phil Lynott.

But you have some great, great choices though especially Freddie.
Cheap Trick fan since 1977

"We got off the plane and thought, 'Man, there's somebody real famous here.' And then we found out it was us." - Rick Nielsen
07-23-2006, 07:48 PM,

Substitute Bryan Ferry for Rod Stewart.
And where is Steven Tyler???
"Beautiful thoughts of all kinds crystallize into habits of grace and kindliness, which solidify into genial and sunny circumstances."
07-23-2006, 08:03 PM,

Good poll. I voted for Freddie as the best overall vocalist. While Mr Zander is the man of a thousand voices, I think Mr Mercury had about 1200 voices going at once on several of Queen's songs.

I would have trouble leaving Paul McCartney off the list of rock's top vocalists. He's lost some range with age, but he truly has a great voice when you consider the entire catalog.
It's not the same anymore, let's face it we've changed...
07-23-2006, 09:54 PM,

Lady Luck Wrote:Substitute Bryan Ferry for Rod Stewart.
And where is Steven Tyler???
Too bad I only put 9 choices up there, or else Steven Tyler would have been right there. Others I considered were Chris Cornell and Axl Rose.

I voted for Robin, because he's the most diverse of the bunch and does not have any weakness whatsoever... but man, Freddie Mercury is definitely my #2
All the things we did
07-24-2006, 05:29 AM,

Meatloaf? Gag... to the singer... double Gag to the food.

No one holds a candle to Robin....Nope not even the wax.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ My World Is In A Spin, You Want To Come On In  ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ 
07-24-2006, 07:23 AM,

That's SO not fair, making me choose between him and Robert Plant!
...satisfy your funk...
07-24-2006, 08:06 AM,

Freddie's voice spanned almost four octaves and he's the only singer from this list that I would compare to Robin. Robin has an amazing voice. I love the tone of his voice and his diversity...the man can sing anything! IMO Robin has the perfect voice. Smile
07-24-2006, 08:33 AM,

Mr. Zander is head and shoulders above the rest.
After him, possibly John Mellencamp.
07-24-2006, 08:37 AM,

Zandergal Wrote:Meatloaf? Gag... to the singer... double Gag to the food.

No one holds a candle to Robin....Nope not even the wax.
Haha... Freddie Mercury is right there Zandergal... no matter how much you love Robin (cause I know I do), Freddie Mercury's voice is absolutely stunning. Note, I also voted for Robin, but they're just about tied in my book.

I always considered Robert Plant to be SLIGHTLY overrated. He's not a very diverse singer IMO and can't sing baritone like Robin can. The reason I choose Robin over everyone is because Robin can do it all, and do it all incredibly well: he has the best baritone voice of anyone on the list, can sing tenor with just about anyone, and can do anything stylistically (from Mandocello to The Ballad of TV Violence). I don't think any of the other singers I chose for the poll have that diversity and can pull off that many different styles of singing. I think all of these singers, especially Robert Plant, get more kudos from the general public because they had songs to sing that were more popular, more catchy, and in some cases, more well-written than the work Robin has had throughout his career. CT has had quite a few "duds" over the years, and although CT songs are my favorite ones of any band, I'd be willing to admit that there are other bands whose songs, although not my favorites, are probably better overall.
All the things we did
07-24-2006, 05:03 PM,

Wow... I feel bad for everyone who isn't Z or Freddie... :laugh:
"We think we understand a song's lyrics, but what makes us believe in them, or not, is the music." The Angel's Game, Carlos Ruiz Zafon
"Music has always been my passport to a better place." - Tom Petty
07-24-2006, 05:51 PM,

IfYouWantMy Wrote:Haha... Freddie Mercury is right there Zandergal... no matter how much you love Robin (cause I know I do),
Ahhh....But I loves him a whole lots LOL! :p

I would have added Elvis, Paul McCartney, even Elton John to the list before I would have put Meatloaf.

As for Freddie, yes he had great vocals, but he's no longer with us.....And to be honest, I still would prefer Robin's voice over his, just my personal opinion.....I swear Robin doesn't pay me to say that! :Wink: :laugh:

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ My World Is In A Spin, You Want To Come On In  ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ 
07-24-2006, 06:34 PM,

I pretty much agree with what's already been said. I voted for Robin, but Freddie was right behind him. Another guy I would've added to the list is Brian Connolly.

Ian
07-24-2006, 08:18 PM,

Zander- enough said
07-25-2006, 09:56 AM,

Chris Cornell would be the only close competition here.
Hello, it's me again .....