Bon Scott
Other
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robin Zander vs. The Greatest Male Rock Vocalists
10-19-2011, 01:28 PM,
RE: Robin Zander vs. The Greatest Male Rock Vocalists
Peba: you're 100% correct. Plus Freddie REALLY put on a show - he tore up the stage. However, who would I rather LOOK at while they sing?? That poll would put Freddie at the bottom of my list! (and RZ at the top!)
10-19-2011, 09:59 PM,
(10-19-2011, 01:28 PM)1955Meg Wrote: Peba: you're 100% correct. Plus Freddie REALLY put on a show - he tore up the stage. However, who would I rather LOOK at while they sing?? That poll would put Freddie at the bottom of my list! (and RZ at the top!)

Freddie always preferred bottoms
How the hell you supposed to sign a screen
10-22-2011, 09:47 AM,
I voted for Zander since, to me, he is the greatest all around vocalist in that list. I must say, though, that Freddy Mercury is the best rock front man in history, IMO. An amazing singer too, in his own right.
10-25-2011, 06:54 PM,
Of course someone can touch Freddie Mercury- and that's Robin Zander. Who can do Gonna Raise Hell, really? I'm sorry, but I haven't heard any Queen song with singing that intense (and I thoroughly enjoy Queen's music). I've been saying it since the early 80s- the response used to "whoever sings Surrender and Way of the World- the guy from Cheap Trick"- this was before I was really into them- my favorite- or who I thought was the best was Neil Peart, John Entwistle, Eddie Van Halen, and the dude from Cheap Trick. Since the mid 1980s, of course, "the dude" became Robin Zander, as I got further into their cassettes. He's been at the top of my list since 1982 and I don't see anyone who's come along to knock him off, as much as I like Rodgers, Daltrey, Perry, Mercury, McCartney, Seger, Fogerty, and Orbison (although Orbison is almost in a category by himself).
Woke Up With a Monster. Cheap Trick 1997. Special One. Rockford. The Latest. 5 classics in a row. Can't wait for #6!!
10-25-2011, 09:54 PM,
Kinda along the topic of people doing others music, I just saw Pearl Jam 20 and there was live footage of Pearl Jam doing a cover, if you really want to call it that, of Mother Love Bone's song Crown Of Thorns. Andrew Wood had a pretty unique voice and Eddie Vedder doesn't sound the least bit like him, but it was an amazing version. It really sounded like it was an old Pearl Jam song.
10-26-2011, 02:55 AM,
Best Friend, Gonna Raise Hell, Sleep Forever, If You Want My Love, and Heaven Tonight. If I'm trying to prove my case for best singer of all time for RZ, those are the 5 songs I would submit. I'm not sure if any singer has 5 songs that reach the level of singing RZ does on these.
Woke Up With a Monster. Cheap Trick 1997. Special One. Rockford. The Latest. 5 classics in a row. Can't wait for #6!!
10-26-2011, 04:37 AM,
You could just about list any 5 Queen songs here for Freddie's defense.
I would like to see this supergroup ddorotik created of Robin, Neil Peart, EVH and Entwhistle. I know John's dead, but I'm sure he can still play better than most, besides he didn't move much on stage anyway. Go back and look at any footage of him, especially the Smothers Brothers performance of My Generation.
10-26-2011, 03:43 PM,
But those 5 songs I chose aren't close to being CT's most popular or greatest songs- yet, for every one of those, you're like, "wow, that guy is taking it to an unbelievable level." I'm trying to think of Queen songs where the singing is like that- News of the World, Jazz, The Game, Night at the Opera... OK, maybe Death on Two Legs, Too Late, the beginning of Rock It (Prime Jive)- but I just can't find ones that stretch the envelope like RZ's do. But hey, I like Queen a lot so it's just personal preference.

Yes, my supergroup might be kinda humdrum in terms of stage presence, but they're my favorites at each position. Piano? Maybe Tony Banks- or actually Roy Bittan, he's a personal fave. Miscellaneous instrument? Absolutely no doubt about that one- Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull- others may be debated, but I don't think there's any doubt whatsoever about the most important flautist in rock and roll history.
05-20-2015, 03:48 AM,
Great list. You can't put too many choices. I want to give a nod to Steve Perry, Fogerty, Jim Morrison, Roy Orbison, Sam Marriott, Lennon, and Harry Nilsson, along with some others that have been mentioned.

The main reason I voted for Robin is because his voice touches me the most. He is great technically, diverse and has an incredible body of work.

I think McCartney was technically better than Lennon but, I like John more. His voice is so cool.

Love Freddie Mercury but, he could get a little to Broadway.
05-21-2015, 11:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-21-2015, 11:03 PM by FredZeppelin.)
Vaden Todd Lewis is the most underrated singer I can think of who can summon the spirit of Zander's scare-the-bejeezus-out-of-you wailing, and can do it better than anyone I've heard.

Exhibit A:

05-21-2015, 11:02 PM,
Vaden Todd Lewis Exhibit B:

05-21-2015, 11:10 PM,
VTL Exhibit 3:

05-22-2015, 04:44 AM,
I love Robin's voice so much and I do think he is the most versatile singer in the world. For sheer beauty, I have to go with Roy Orbison. What a beautiful tone that man had and he kept it. I've always thought the opera world could have had a great tenor if Roy had decided to pursue it.
05-22-2015, 12:39 PM,
(07-24-2006, 06:34 PM)ian2813 Wrote: I voted for Robin, but Freddie was right behind him. 

OMG. LMFAO.

Robin slightly edges Freddie, IMHO.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Hello There Ladies and Gentlemen, Are you READY TO ROCK
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
05-22-2015, 07:09 PM,
Robin is the best in my opinion. He can sing a pretty ballad or scream his ass off.

Meatloaf?? Bono??? Neither is a great vocalist. I like old AC/DC but Bon Scott has no range whatsoever.
How about McCartney? He can croon (Yesterday) or belt (Helter Skelter). He's one of the best.
Other classic rockers...Bowie, Ian Gillan, Jim Morrison
f you want to go a little heavier....Ronnie James Dio, Bruce Dickinson, Layne Staley.

Bye-bye, so long, farewell, bye-bye, so long, sayonara, bye-bye, au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen,
JCC

"I Want You to ROCK YOUR SPEECH!!!"