Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robin Among the Greatest - ...something we knew all along
05-04-2009, 06:21 PM,
RE: Robin Among the Greatest - ...something we knew all along
In the latest issue of the British mag Classic, Robin is named among the 30 greatest rock singers of all time.

RZ comes in at No. 23. No doubt he should be hire, but I'll take this as it's an honor to be voted by the fans and peers. Rick Springfield paid homage to Robin as well as Rick. Cool
Cheap Trick fan since 1977

"We got off the plane and thought, 'Man, there's somebody real famous here.' And then we found out it was us." - Rick Nielsen
05-04-2009, 08:53 PM,

Cool. Cool No surprise to us, but still nice to get some well deserved recognition.
All I want is a place in your heart to fall into
05-08-2009, 06:14 AM,

Remove the dead and retired and he goes a long way further up. Smile
05-08-2009, 08:52 AM,

How good is that!!! But only #23 ... uh!!! ???

He'll always be one of my fav singers of ALL time ... no doubt about it Smile

Thanks Ken sweetie Big Grin
debj1111@bigpond.com

~ * Deborah * ~ ... SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA!!!

** ABSOLUTELY ** CRAZY FOR ROBIN!!!!

CHEAP TRICK!! IT'S TIME FOR A HEADLINING TOUR OF AUSTRALIA!!
05-08-2009, 08:54 AM,

Jervis Tetch Wrote:In the latest issue of the British mag Classic, Robin is named among the 30 greatest rock singers of all time.

RZ comes in at No. 23. No doubt he should be hire, but I'll take this as it's an honor to be voted by the fans and peers. Rick Springfield paid homage to Robin as well as Rick. Cool
Can you let us know what the article says...if you can.

Is there a link online.
05-08-2009, 12:11 PM,

Paul Calypso Wrote:
Jervis Tetch Wrote:In the latest issue of the British mag Classic, Robin is named among the 30 greatest rock singers of all time.

Is there a link online.
Hey PC, don't know if there's a link, but it's a slow day here at chez PN. Here's a transcript:

23. ROBIN ZANDER
"Robin's voice is amazing with a range and flexibility that makes me jealous as hell." - Rick Springfield
Robin Zander is the quintessential hard rock chameleon. Blessed with spectacular multi-octave range and possessing enough mighty vocal firepower to level a row of skyscrapers, the man can do it all, combining a thrilling and combustible mix of versatility, vulnerability and volume into one class-A package. "Robin's the man of a thousand voices," raves bandmate Rick Nielsen. "He can do the sweet stuff and the nasty stuff. He can do ballads or he can be the serial killer."
Zander reveals that he takes a cinematic approach to his singing. "I enjoy changing around and singing with different voices. It's like being an actor and having a part in movies where not every role is exactly the same. That's the way I kind of look at singing songs."
*Greatest vocal:Tonight It's You from Cheap Trick's Standing On The Edge (1985). Zander delivers a stellar performance on this power-pop nugget.
Go Completely Wild!
05-08-2009, 08:48 PM,

Piano Nerd Wrote:"Robin's voice is amazing with a range and flexibility that makes me jealous as hell." - Rick Springfield
Robin Zander is the quintessential hard rock chameleon. Blessed with spectacular multi-octave range and possessing enough mighty vocal firepower to level a row of skyscrapers, the man can do it all, combining a thrilling and combustible mix of versatility, vulnerability and volume into one class-A package. "Robin's the man of a thousand voices," raves bandmate Rick Nielsen. "He can do the sweet stuff and the nasty stuff. He can do ballads or he can be the serial killer."
Wow. :love:
All I want is a place in your heart to fall into
05-08-2009, 11:52 PM,

What a superb description of Robins singing capabilities. He certainly is 'the man of a thousand voices'.

Robins singing can stir so, so many different emotions in me and thats what I really admire and love :love: about the man.

ROBIN CERTAINLY IS ONE OF A KIND!!!
debj1111@bigpond.com

05-09-2009, 05:35 PM,

Piano Nerd Wrote:
Paul Calypso Wrote:

Is there a link online.
Hey PC, don't know if there's a link, but it's a slow day here at chez PN. Here's a transcript:

23. ROBIN ZANDER
"Robin's voice is amazing with a range and flexibility that makes me jealous as hell." - Rick Springfield

*Greatest vocal:Tonight It's You from Cheap Trick's Standing On The Edge (1985). Zander delivers a stellar performance on this power-pop nugget.
Rick Springfield....he's fun. Big Grin Now, another reason to enjoy him even more. :glare:

I agree about TIY. Ooh-la-la.....would be nice to hear this live in the near future. Big Grin
05-10-2009, 03:52 AM,

Piano Nerd Wrote:
Paul Calypso Wrote:

Is there a link online.

23. ROBIN ZANDER
Zander reveals that he takes a cinematic approach to his singing. "I enjoy changing around and singing with different voices. It's like being an actor and having a part in movies where not every role is exactly the same. That's the way I kind of look at singing songs."
And don't forget that a few pages on (p.60), Ginger from the Wildhearts selects his top 5 singers, and top of the list is Robin. Ginger says "Cheap Trick's velvet and glass-larynxed frontman has the range, the stylings, the emotion, the pop, the rock - everything. When I asked how he hits those high notes he simply replied: "I dunno, I guess I just shout louder"".

Ginger has long been known to be a huge CT fan. I've seen him at several CT shows in London in past years, and he even reviewed one of them for Classic Rock mag. He even namechecks the band (amongst others) in the catchy Wildhearts song "29x the Pain". I'm sure you can find that on YouTube, give it a listen and see if you can spot all the bands namechecked!

Kim
(They persecute me right here in Leeds, England)
05-17-2009, 08:37 PM,

Wow that is some great press. It was Robin Zander that first caught my attention about Cheap Trick. There is something about his voice, his pitch and his range that just makes him one of the greatest singers of all time.

For over 30 years I have been telling the good folks that will listen that Cheap Trick is one of the greatest bands live. To hear Robin sing for me is like a choir of angels. He's not to bad at sounding like the devil when need be.

Now if we can just get Cheap Trick to let Robin sing "Show Me Heaven" as an encore. Just one of the best songs I have ever heard him sing and the bonus was I got to tell him and Pam at Trickfest one time.

Congrats Robin on the kudos.

Hamerica :unclesam:
05-23-2009, 07:15 PM,

To me this just validates the fact he's one of the greatest.
Cheap Trick fan since 1977

"We got off the plane and thought, 'Man, there's somebody real famous here.' And then we found out it was us." - Rick Nielsen
05-24-2009, 12:08 PM,

Actually. a close friend has talked to Rick Springfield about Cheap Trick, and he's a fan.....he actually stated that he would love to tour with them!
Last Nov. we were on the RS cruise, and he broke into a rendition of "I Want You To Want Me".....at a piano bar on the ship.
Fun!!!
05-28-2009, 12:48 PM,

TIY is such a great song to reference in that write-up, too. It's one of those CT songs cobbled together in bits and pieces and Robin gives each piece a different treatment.
06-02-2009, 11:10 AM,

Jervis Tetch Wrote:To me this just validates the fact he's one of the greatest.
'THE' GREATEST BY FAR!!!

Robin's singing practically leaves me breathless :love: .... his voice just moves me in ways that I cannot describe ... he is truly unbelievable and I'll always love and admire that man ... forever Smile
debj1111@bigpond.com