Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
christian sounding lyrics? - The Latest CDs lyrics
11-15-2010, 10:03 AM,

When I first heard These Days I wanted it to be about his kids. Then I heard someone mention religion, and that was even better. I'm hoping it's not about a woman - too desperate sounding, as though he lost himself.
CarieC
11-15-2010, 10:29 AM,

CHRISTOPHEZEE Wrote:"But, in case TinaMarie would like to know more about the meaning of the LATEST's songs, Robin comments it track by track on the last issue of Classic Rock magazine."
OF COURSE I want to know - please someone post this article!!!! icon_sunny.gif
11-21-2010, 12:54 AM,

For reasons that are purely personal to me, Miracle has a decidedly AA-ish vibe. I'm prolly wrong - I am frequently. I think the overriding "message" is tha each song means what you want it to mean. If it evokes something spiritual in you, cool; if it reminds you of sushi and beer, that's cool, too.
11-21-2010, 01:13 AM,

Darran posted Robin's comments on "The Latest" in "Cheap Trick News" under the Classic Rock thread.
I Found All the Parts to My Soul through the Healing Power of Cheap Trick's Music
11-21-2010, 09:55 AM,

Laura, thanks so much for giving me the heads up on Darran's posting. I really appreciate it icon_thumright.gif
11-22-2010, 10:55 PM,

CB4CT Wrote:References to "those who are blind or whose eyes are not opened, etc.. " or other senses such as hearing or the mind, then being opened or enlightened in some way are not exclusive to Christianity as I am sure you all well know.

Messages we interpret as spiritual or otherwise are done in the context of our own understanding regardless of the original author's intent.

I find this occurs constantly in my Yoga and meditation classes. Occasionally I need to say "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

CB4CT
That's what I WANTED to say (except the part about the yoga class - don't do yoga, but I would if i were not a big, fat, lumbering oaf). Perfectly put. It's all about how the individual sees it, so that song (or any other, I suppose) can mean whatever the listener wants it to mean. I am sure any songwriter would be happy to know their stuff is being heard and interpreted at all, no matter if they are well known or not. Appreciation is appreciation, and I am sure whomever is responsible for the line is happy to see it so well loved by whomever..

I don't think it is the strongest line CT has ever written, just because it is just way too simple and cliche' by this point. (Lets be honest, it was a cliche' when Amazing Grace was written!! LOL!!)

But TinaMarie, if it speaks to you that way, don't let anyone sway you from it. If you think it is spiritual (or has spiritual meaning for you) then it should stay that way.
07-23-2016, 01:36 PM,
RE: christian sounding lyrics? - The Latest CDs lyrics
Found this thread very eye-opening. At this point, I could actually imagine some spiritual influence on CT's lyrics - not a fundamentalist, bible-thumping religion, but a more gentle, open kind of spiritual. I think it's nice that the band's lyrics have matured as they age.
07-24-2016, 08:59 AM,
it seems to me that rick gave a not so ambiguous opinion about religion when he wrote "he got religion and she got her a god.  it's on her back and it's in his job, and it costs lots of money, honey...oh no!"

honestly - i do not want to know, but i do support everyone's right to believe whatever they want as long as they do not try to legislate it, kill in the name of it, or impose it on anyone.
07-24-2016, 11:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-24-2016, 11:54 AM by FredZeppelin.)
What was the release date of Rockford? What an absurd thread.

Btw, Rick acknowledged in an interview years ago that he was a Zen Rudist.
07-30-2016, 04:02 PM,
(07-24-2016, 11:15 AM)FredZeppelin Wrote: What was the release date of Rockford?  What an absurd thread.

Well it's not like there's tons of stuff to talk about these days around here. So someone resurrected an old thread - good for them. I, for one, don't remember much that was talked about around here seven years ago. I'm fine with new discussions around old topics.

And I "get" your Rockford mention. Wonder how many people here got it as well. The reason I remember it is that I used to work for a music chain and their were some CDs that the computer would price at $6.66 for some reason. Of course, customers complained....

How many of you here have ever played "How Are You" slowed down and backwards?

Clem
07-30-2016, 04:20 PM,
It's, "He got religion and she got on a god, It's on her back and it's in his job. You cost lots of money, honey."

He got religion means just what it says, he suddenly became religious. She got on a god means she got hooked on a drug, which is why it's on her back, AKA the monkey on your back... Not exactly certain what it's in his job means, possibly he was doing something against his religion for work, and now it is a problem. And, finally, she costs lots of money, as does any junkie's habit along with the consequences it brings.

I would look to the line in "Downed" where he says, "You think of Jesus Christ...You'll walk on water, but don't bet your life." for a better assessment of how, at least Rick, feels about the subject. Basically saying, thinking about religion is ok, especially when you are down, but don't put much stock in it.

I am not saying I feel that way, but that when he wrote the song, he did.

https://sputinc7.wixsite.com/covwc

I didn't do it.   But, if I did do it, it was an accident! Angel

if you lose your head and give up, you niether live nor win. that's just the way it is.
 Exclamation
07-30-2016, 04:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2016, 04:51 PM by FredZeppelin.)
(07-30-2016, 04:02 PM)clem1234 Wrote:
(07-24-2016, 11:15 AM)FredZeppelin Wrote: What was the release date of Rockford?  What an absurd thread.

Well it's not like there's tons of stuff to talk about these days around here.    So someone resurrected an old thread - good for them.  I, for one, don't remember much that was talked about around here seven years ago.  I'm fine with new discussions around old topics.

And I "get" your Rockford mention.  Wonder how many people here got it as well.  The reason I remember it is that I used to work for a music chain and their were some CDs that the computer would price at $6.66 for some reason.  Of course, customers complained....

How many of you here have ever played "How Are You" slowed down and backwards?

Clem
The 23rd Psalm isn't "Christian."

Reciting the lord's prayer, forwards or backwards, is also something occultists do to mock bible-based faiths.

Why is politics out of bounds on this forum, but religion is okay? I wish both were fair game, because I have plenty to say about christians, republicans, and christian republicans.
07-30-2016, 07:31 PM,
You're Allah Wanna do. 

Just saying like.   Confused
07-30-2016, 08:05 PM,
Exactly
08-24-2016, 03:52 PM,
(07-30-2016, 04:20 PM)radiolover Wrote: It's, "He got religion and she got on a god, It's on her back and it's in his job. You cost lots of money, honey."

He got religion means just what it says, he suddenly became religious. She got on a god means she got hooked on a drug, which is why it's on her back, AKA the monkey on your back... Not exactly certain what it's in his job means, possibly he was doing something against his religion for work, and now it is a problem. And, finally, she costs lots of money, as does any junkie's habit along with the consequences it brings.

I would look to the line in "Downed" where he says, "You think of Jesus Christ...You'll walk on water, but don't bet your life." for a better assessment of how, at least Rick, feels about the subject. Basically saying, thinking about religion is ok, especially when you are down, but don't put much stock in it.

I am not saying I feel that way, but that when he wrote the song, he did.

actually, the lyrics are pretty much verbatim what i had originally stated:

"Then he got religion and she got a god
It's on her back and it's in his job
And it costs lots of money, honey- oh, no"

rick does not mention drugs at all, and it is pretty clear that he saying that the religion is on her back and costs lots of money.

regardless, it isn't necessarily biographical. who knows how rick really feels about religion?